Need Ideas for Propane Tank Storage

PJorgen

I need some ideas and suggestions from the creative, DIY’er types out there. I’ve got a 2014 FWC Hawk. As some of you know, FWC now supplies its campers with two 10-pound propane tanks. This works great for me as I have a big propane stove that I set up when in camp. I use one of the propane tanks for the stove and leave the other one in the camper to fuel the furnace, hot water etc.

Here’s the problem; I often leave the stove set up in camp when I take the truck to more remote spots for fishing, hiking or whatever. I don’t want to have to return the second propane tank to its storage cabinet in the camper, but the tie down system only works when both tanks are in place. With only one tank in the cabinet it’s free to flop around and damage stuff.

So far I’ve gotten by using a couple blocks of wood that I carry as base plates for the jack. I stuff them against the propane tank and wrap the tie down strap around the whole mess. This has been less than ideal as the blocks are mostly square so they don’t fit well and often come loose when I drive on rough roads.

What I need is a surrogate propane tank spacer thingy that will take the place of the second tank that I leave in camp. Needs to be round or kind of roundish and approximately the same diameter as the tank. Does not need to be as tall as the tank. Ideally it should be light weight, maybe even collapsible so it can be stored in the propane cabinet. However, it needs to be fairly rugged as I’m usually driving off road on these out of camp excursions. Could be made of wood or metal, although I don’t weld. I guess I could have it fabbed if the design is sufficiently brilliant and innovative.

Welcome any and all suggestions, out of the box thinking encouraged. Thanks in advance

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but what if you install a second strap to hold the one tank secure while its alone? Then you have a lone secure tank and no extra parts or things to worry about or add weight?

Make separate holders or straps for each tank. Footman loops and nylon webbing comes to mind as a simple and effective solution. Ron

Thanks to both of you, great idea that I hadn't thought of. Went out and looked at the camper and realized that to add straps for the single take the camper will need to come off the truck. That's not going to happen soon, but definitely at some point.

So in the meantime, I still need another option. Any more ideas?

Or just leave the tank in there and reconnect your hose when you get back. Thats how I do it.

It was pretty simple to add on. I haven't seen the two tank setup but I would imagine you could still do it.

My Grandby has a strap for each tank, and a piece of wood to wddge against the frame to hold everything rock solid. I guess a single tank wouldn't stay so well with only the strap holding it.

If I were in this situation, I'd probably use one of the extra float bags I have laying around to fill up the space and hold the single tank.
Example http://www.nrs.com/category/2715/whitewater-kayaking/flotation

What is the diameter of the tank? You could get a short piece of scrap plastic pipe that is the same diameter as the tank. Ron

I replumbed our camper to have an outside Acme style POV with a ball valve inside the camper to turn it off. The 'T' is ahead of the camper's own regulator so the POV gets full tank pressure. We run either our bbq or a Camp Chef Sport Stove off of that port.

i-CZpp2g6-L.jpg

i-p5xzWs6-L.jpg

Industrial cardboard tubes come in diameters close to those tanks. Can function as storage as well.

large_cores_1.png

I have never carried both bottles, they each weigh 25 lbs, and I can take 5 - 6 week long trips on one bottle. I use foam and it straps in nice and tight.

Attachments

• propane.jpg
    propane.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 126
Wow 5-6 weeks on one 10lb... I wish :) I was just out for first time for 6 days and changed bottle on the last day. I guess I may keep my heater too warm at 65? It does not seem to run all that much... but I had a 5th wheel and may be used to how often it ran :(

I seldom use the heater and probably 5-10 minutes of stove per day, sometimes not at all, so why carry the extra 25 lbs all the time.
Similar to water which is really heavy, I know how many days I'm going to be out and plan 1 gallon per day, which is always more than adequate. Who knows if cutting a few pounds here and there helps, but its habit from my backpacking where I look to cut ounces.

I just checked my records and I camped 53 nights before I needed to refill my first tank. I tend to run the heater only to keep things from freezing and to heat the camper during the rare times I use the inside shower. I used the water heater maybe 20 percent of the trips for showers. I do cook every day inside.

There's a lot of variablity in how we use our campers, but they seem to be able to satisfy most everyone who owns one.

Advocate said:
Industrial cardboard tubes come in diameters close to those tanks. Can function as storage as well.

large_cores_1.png
Thanks to everyone who contributed - I've got some good ideas now. I especially like the cardboard tube idea. If it were slightly larger in diameter than the tank, I could store it around the tank and it wouldn't take up any additional space.

WTW is great, thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom