Hawk (Kestrel) or Fleet for my 2001 Tundra

gary515

I have been soaking up all the great info on this forum for awhile now and will probably order my camper this coming Saturday. This is my first posting. I thank you all for covering all the topics so well. I just read them and got a heck of an education.

I have a 2001 Tundra with 103000 miles and truck is in great condition, runs well and I like it's size and how it drives. I don't see myself having to upgrade to a newer truck anytime soon.

As has been noted in these forums the older Tundras (and maybe even the newer ones) have 17" tall side walls so the Hawk model would ride about 4 in above the side wall and 8 in or so above roof. To solve that problem I could order the Fleet model, but would give up the extra 5 in of inside room.

The other option is to go with the Kestrel model. FWC does not list this model on their website but will build it for Tundra owners who want the larger Hawk inside dimensions but a tighter outside fit that I would have with the smaller Fleet model.

If I get the Kestrel I will have a camper that will not fit a Tacoma (too wide for bed), will not fit most half tons without a bed platform, and possibly have a limited market for resale.

Should I get the Kestrel? Do you think there would be demand for this model should I have to sell it (I'm old).

Thank you for any replies and looking forward to joining the FWC community.

i have an 02 tundra access cab and was in the same situation. i ordered the HAWK because i like the taller door that the hawk has for my nonflexibility. i also knew a future truck would either be a newer tundra, or tacoma, i liked the hawk so much i decided it will be a tundra. it doesnt look that bad

Give All Terrain Campers a call. They might be able to build your camper's frame to your truck's specs and even save you a few bucks.

Stew's All Terrain Camper shell on the Picketwire River in Eastern Colorado:
gallery_172_19_174358.jpg

YES check out ATC.I have a Bobcat that came off a Ford Ranger and I like the way it fits the 2002 Tundra AC.
The Bobcat is wider than an Eagle but not as wide as a Hawk so it doesn't hang over the sides.
Being the Bobcat was made for the narrower Ford there is about 3" on each side of the bottom to the truck sidewalls.Not a problem.
If you want a nice will made camper check out Marty at ATC you might like what your $$$ can buy.Good luck.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN5543.jpg
    DSCN5543.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 388
  • DSCN5781.jpg
    DSCN5781.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 359
Gary- I have a 2006 Tundra (access cab) and have been looking for a used Kestral model or a Hawk- and have considered ordering a new camper- this is a very difficult and important decision to make for sure- I'm going to say if your certain that you will never change trucks that you should get the Kestral model as it will fit the truck best. If you think that you will be getting a new truck someday then there is an argument to be make to get the more universal fitting Hawk- I have learned in my research that not all Hawks are made the same- example: I looked at a beautiful used Hawk that I almost purchased that was on a Ford F250 and after talking to Stan realized that it was actually several inches higher than a standard Hawk made for the Ford- I was very lucky that I didn't purchase it because I would have found it would have sat extremely high in my Tundra. As you probably know that you can fit a Kesral into a standard truck by adding a platform under it if that would become an issue into the future. Im anxious to see what you do. My feeling (and Im definatly not the best person to ask as Im not yet a FWC owner) is to get the kestral if your sure you aren't going to ever get another truck. Get that FWC ordered and report back.... good luck...

Thank you all for your replies. You got me thinking about the All Terrain Campers. I had not considered them. I will be going down to Calif on Saturday and stop by FWC. On my way back from the Bay Area on Monday might check in with All Terrain to see what they say about fitting one to my 2001 Tundra.

We love our kestral on the 03 tundra. Try and get the dinette set-up. There will always be a few older tundras around. Does anybody know if a FWC camper can be modified to fit smaller trucks?

Hawk vs Fleet depends on whether eventually you plan to move up to the big Tundra, Dodge, Ford. or stick with a smaller truck ('01 Tundra about same physical size as the Gen two Tacoma) Your 2001 Tundra has low miles for a 12 year old truck so should have many miles left in it. The Hawk has the bigger refrigerator that makes ice. Fleet has the small one. If resale is an issue the Hawk will be easier to re-sell then the Kestral. If not than a non-issue for you.

If you like the SIZE of your '01 Tundra and you buy a Fleet and you need to buy a new truck in the future, you could buy a 2nd gen Tacoma which is about the same size - about 1/2 inch narrower(74.6" vs.75.2" and little over 1/2 foot shorter (17.34 ft vs 18 feet). Re-reading this paragraph I need to add the Fleet will fit the Gen one Tundra and Gen one and two Tacoma. The Hawk won't fit the Tacoma because the distance between the wheel wells is to narrow.

I have a 2006 Tundra access cab 4x4. I went with the Fleet, because if I ever need to replace my truck, I am not likely to go up in size, but would get a Tacoma. The Fleet is great on the 1st gen Tundra.

We are trying to make the same decision right now. We have a 2002 Tundra Access cab with really low miles(55k today). So, we hope it will be around for a while. However, if we do replace it, we will be getting another Tacoma. I think the Fleet will be the best fit for our needs. We have also considered an Eagle, but don't really care for the way it fits in the Tundra...lots of space lost. It does seem though, that the Fleets are nearly impossible to find used, so a new camper may be the only way to go for us. So glad we found this site, LOTS of good info. Now, I need to get back to the spring vs air bag decision.

We are trying to make the same decision right now. We have a 2002 Tundra Access cab with really low miles(55k today). So, we hope it will be around for a while. However, if we do replace it, we will be getting another Tacoma. I think the Fleet will be the best fit for our needs. We have also considered an Eagle, but don't really care for the way it fits in the Tundra...lots of space lost. It does seem though, that the Fleets are nearly impossible to find used, so a new camper may be the only way to go for us. So glad we found this site, LOTS of good info. Now, I need to get back to the spring vs air bag decision.

Welcome to the site.If you scroll up about 7 reply's,there are some photos of my 02 access cab with a ATC Bobcat,which I think is the same size as a Fleet.The Bobcat fits nicely on the Tundra.So a fleet should do about the same.You might give a thought to looking for a used Bobcat,might fit your needs and be easier to find.
Frank

Welcome to the site.If you scroll up about 7 reply's,there are some photos of my 02 access cab with a ATC Bobcat,which I think is the same size as a Fleet.The Bobcat fits nicely on the Tundra.So a fleet should do about the same.You might give a thought to looking for a used Bobcat,might fit your needs and be easier to find.
Frank

Thanks for the info Frank. At this point, we're pretty open to other options. No money has changed hands....yet. I will admit, I had no idea that ATC pop ups were all aluminum framed. Are they pretty close on weight? At glance though, and after about 5 minutes on their site I must admit I like the side windows on the FWC's, and the fact that they seem to have more options. We will be keeping a RocketBox on whatever we get, so the roof rack options are important to us as well. One more thing..I did a super quick nationwide CL search for ATC pop ups, and only found one. So in no way easier to find. Thanks, and looks like I'll another company to consider while we search. Options are good.

Yes they are a bit harder to find,but there have been some on this site.They seem to show up now and then.
Good luck in your search.
There are a lot of similarities to the two campers. ATC is made by some of the older FWC people who started their own company.
The ATCs are more basic but just as great to use.
Frank

I decided to go with a ATC Bobcat. I will take delivery here in Oregon around June 10th or so. It will fit real nice on my Tundra and also a Tacoma if I ever upgrade to a newer truck. We are very excited to start our pickup camper adventures. Thanks to you all for all the great advice.

Gary

I decided to go with a ATC Bobcat. I will take delivery here in Oregon around June 10th or so. It will fit real nice on my Tundra and also a Tacoma if I ever upgrade to a newer truck. We are very excited to start our pickup camper adventures. Thanks to you all for all the great advice.

Gary

Congrats on your new camper! We will need pictures. :)

Congrats on your new camper! We will need pictures. :)

Yes, we need adventures and photos. Have fun in your new All Terrain Camper, Gary!

I bought a new Fleet for my 2000 Tundra AC in early March. It fits well and has minimal side overhang. I installed new rear leaf packs (HD 4+1 from General Spring), Bilstein 5100 shocks all around (middle setting on the front height adjustable shocks), and a Helwig sway bar. It handles very well. My SS Fleet is well equipped (solar, awning, furnace, etc.) and heavier than the standard offering, maybe 1100 lbs. I have owned the Tundra since new and at 92k miles I plan to keep it a while. I can always resell the Fleet for a Tacoma, Dakota or Ranger application if I ever purchase a bigger truck. Do your research , think your needs through, and good luck. Happy camping!

I bought a new Fleet for my 2000 Tundra AC in early March. It fits well and has minimal side overhang. I installed new rear leaf packs (HD 4+1 from General Spring), Bilstein 5100 shocks all around (middle setting on the front height adjustable shocks), and a Helwig sway bar. It handles very well. My SS Fleet is well equipped (solar, awning, furnace, etc.) and heavier than the standard offering, maybe 1100 lbs. I have owned the Tundra since new and at 92k miles I plan to keep it a while. I can always resell the Fleet for a Tacoma, Dakota or Ranger application if I ever purchase a bigger truck. Do your research , think your needs through, and good luck. Happy camping!

Glad to hear you like the Fleet, and thanks for the suspension info. Did you mean to say "resell the Fleet or put it on a Tacoma"? That's another reason I'm leaning towards the Fleet...just in case I end up with another Tacoma. I doubt I'd ever want a truck larger than the Tundra. Thanks!

Glad to hear you like the Fleet, and thanks for the suspension info. Did you mean to say "resell the Fleet or put it on a Tacoma"? That's another reason I'm leaning towards the Fleet...just in case I end up with another Tacoma. I doubt I'd ever want a truck larger than the Tundra. Thanks!

I guess I can't see myself ever getting a bigger truck than the first gen Tundra. So, yeah, I would probably get a Tacoma and keep the Fleet when/if I ever wear the Tundra out.

I have been soaking up all the great info on this forum for awhile now and will probably order my camper this coming Saturday. This is my first posting. I thank you all for covering all the topics so well. I just read them and got a heck of an education.

I have a 2001 Tundra with 103000 miles and truck is in great condition, runs well and I like it's size and how it drives. I don't see myself having to upgrade to a newer truck anytime soon.

As has been noted in these forums the older Tundras (and maybe even the newer ones) have 17" tall side walls so the Hawk model would ride about 4 in above the side wall and 8 in or so above roof. To solve that problem I could order the Fleet model, but would give up the extra 5 in of inside room.

The other option is to go with the Kestrel model. FWC does not list this model on their website but will build it for Tundra owners who want the larger Hawk inside dimensions but a tighter outside fit that I would have with the smaller Fleet model.

If I get the Kestrel I will have a camper that will not fit a Tacoma (too wide for bed), will not fit most half tons without a bed platform, and possibly have a limited market for resale.

Should I get the Kestrel? Do you think there would be demand for this model should I have to sell it (I'm old).

Thank you for any replies and looking forward to joining the FWC community.

Back
Top Bottom