Improved battery charging is available cheap

leadsled9

Contributors
I have a 2008 Hawk model with an IOTA Power Converter/Battery Charger, model DLS-30 installed as standard equipment by FWC.

I recently went on a month long trip to Arizona during which time my camper battery died (failed to hold much of a charge). In doing some research I found out some pretty interesting information.

The IOTA DLS-30 model has an optional "Smart Battery Charging" unit available for $25 called the IQ4 Charge Controller. Here is an excerpt from the IQ4 manual:

"The IQ4 Charge Controller offers automatic charging control for DLS
Battery Chargers, providing longer and safer use of your system’s
battery. The IQ4 Controller allows the DLS Charger to operate as an
automatic 3-stage “smart charger” that gives the customer the benefit
of Bulk, Absorption, and Float stage charging. Three-Stage Charging
increases the charging capacity of the DLS charger and decreases
the charge time while insuring proper and safe battery charging and
minimizing the possibility of over-charging. The IQ4 monitors the battery
at all times. If the DLS voltage remains in the Float stage for more
than seven days, the IQ4 will automatically enter the Equalization stage
for a predetermined time to help maintain the battery plates, and then
resume float stage charging."

This is the same 3-stage battery charging discussed in an earlier post on this site.

I'm ordering one today. I can provide a source for this item in Souther CA if you are interested.

Only time will tell if this will improve the life of the expensive camper batteries.

Attached is the manual for the IOTA IQ4 Smart Charge Controller.

This contoller simply plugs in to the IOTA DLS-30, and is accessable from the front panel, just under the furnace grid in the camper, without having to dismantle anything. Simply plugs into an RJ phone jack.

This is just a FYI post as I have no experience using this unit and do not know if it will improve the life of our camper batteries.

Attachments

• iota_IQ4manual.pdf
    219.9 KB · Views: 441
I was wondering what was your source(s) of charging power? Did you use a solar panel besides the trucks alt? Did you also use high draw items? Just curious, I have a 100 ah battery with a 65 watt solar panel and it runs all my stuff without ever draining the battery, and I live in AZ all winter long! -Joel

I was wondering what was your source(s) of charging power? Did you use a solar panel besides the trucks alt? Did you also use high draw items? Just curious, I have a 100 ah battery with a 65 watt solar panel and it runs all my stuff without ever draining the battery, and I live in AZ all winter long! -Joel

My power source was a honda 1000 generator. It fully charged the battery just fine....but the battery is defective and does not hold a charge.

I have a 2008 Hawk model with an IOTA Power Converter/Battery Charger, model DLS-30 installed as standard equipment by FWC.

I recently went on a month long trip to Arizona during which time my camper battery died (failed to hold much of a charge). In doing some research I found out some pretty interesting information.

The IOTA DLS-30 model has an optional "Smart Battery Charging" unit available for $25 called the IQ4 Charge Controller. Here is an excerpt from the IQ4 manual:

"The IQ4 Charge Controller offers automatic charging control for DLS
Battery Chargers, providing longer and safer use of your system’s
battery. The IQ4 Controller allows the DLS Charger to operate as an
automatic 3-stage “smart charger” that gives the customer the benefit
of Bulk, Absorption, and Float stage charging. Three-Stage Charging
increases the charging capacity of the DLS charger and decreases
the charge time while insuring proper and safe battery charging and
minimizing the possibility of over-charging. The IQ4 monitors the battery
at all times. If the DLS voltage remains in the Float stage for more
than seven days, the IQ4 will automatically enter the Equalization stage
for a predetermined time to help maintain the battery plates, and then
resume float stage charging."

This is the same 3-stage battery charging discussed in an earlier post on this site.

I'm ordering one today. I can provide a source for this item in Souther CA if you are interested.

Only time will tell if this will improve the life of the expensive camper batteries.

Attached is the manual for the IOTA IQ4 Smart Charge Controller.

This contoller simply plugs in to the IOTA DLS-30, and is accessable from the front panel, just under the furnace grid in the camper, without having to dismantle anything. Simply plugs into an RJ phone jack.

This is just a FYI post as I have no experience using this unit and do not know if it will improve the life of our camper batteries.

I got one off or Ebay $29 delivered. Just plugs in then you are done. I have a 2002 Hawk with what may be the original battery still working, but have not used enough to tell what shape it is in. Next summer I will change out to two new AGM batterys. I want to make sure they last.

Bill

This is basically an add-on which accomplishes the same thing as the Intellipower converters with the built-in "charge wizard." well worth the cost.

Is the cable to link it up with the charger included?

The unit is supposed to come with a 12" cable (phone wire). I'll let you know when mine arrives in the mail.

Do keep us posted. I am plannning a month trip to AK this summer. For $25 bucks that seems like a no brainer. I have a 2009 hawk.

-mike

My IQ4 arrived in the mail today.

Yes, it came with a cable. It took a few seconds to plug it in, and it's up and running.

When I remodeled our Ranger II I redid all the wiring and installed a IOTA Power Converter/Battery Charger DLS-30 with IQ4 Charge Controller built in. It makes it so easy, just plug the camper into a 120V socket in the garage with a short extension cord to the outside 120V socket on the camper. I can't speak of longevity as we just completed this last fall.

I guess this is a good way to keep that batteries fresh when plugged in but I'm never plugged in anywhere. I have a 15w solar that charges and floats the batteries most of the time and if I really need a boost I have a strong auto battery charger I can use if plugged in or with the generator if really needed.

I guess this is a good way to keep that batteries fresh when plugged in but I'm never plugged in anywhere.

If you want good stage charging on the move off your alt. you're going to need to use a DC-DC charger to condition the voltage. If using solar you can spend a couple bucks more to get a stage solar charger as well.

If you were really adamant to use this charger on the move you could do it in a round about way by running a good properly sized inverter off your alternator/starting battery to send 120V back to the camper.

I wonder if my 2009 hawk comes with the IQ4 stock? As soon as I can plow a path to mine I will open her up and look see...

-mike

I wonder if my 2009 hawk comes with the IQ4 stock? As soon as I can plow a path to mine I will open her up and look see...

-mike

No need to open anything up.

If the front panel reads "IOTA DLS-30", then you don't have the IQ4 built in and will need the add-on module.

The units that have the IQ4 built in are labled "IOTA DLS-30/IQ4".

Thanks for the info, my "open her up" refered to the 3-4 feet of snow that blocks the opportunity to open the shed door that leads to the sleeping Hawk. I hope by mid-April I can get downt there to read the label on the inverter. Meanwhile I am enjoying the warm spell...it is 20 and sunny, fish on in the ice shack!

-mike

I thought the quote below was informative. Not all users will find a need for the IQ4 depending on individual routines. I rarely plug into 110v and never for more than a day or two so I don’t think it would be any use to me. Solar keeps things topped off.

http://store.solar-electric.com/bach1.html

Do you need the IQ4 option?

The IQ4 adds 3-stage charging to all Iota chargers (normally 2-stage). In short, if the charger is connected most or all of the time to the batteries, then yes. If you use it only occasionally - such as for fast charging, or when the batteries need charging from another source, or are using it as only a voltage supply or part time charger, then probably not.

Here is a picture of the Iota IQ4 unit if anybody is interested.

Attachments

• DSC_03430001_iota_iq4.JPG
    DSC_03430001_iota_iq4.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 230
Wanted to bring this back to the top.

Are there any feed back from all that have installed one? Any problems, works as advertised?

Thanks

Wanted to bring this back to the top.

Are there any feed back from all that have installed one? Any problems, works as advertised?

Thanks

Hi pvstoy,

Yes, this little gem works as advertised. I'm very happy with it. It has kept my Sears Diehard Platinum in very good condition.

Back
Top Bottom