More Solar Panel Installation Questions

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
New-guy here, but not that new to FWC and a veteran at "wandering the west" (see website in my sig).
I've read (most/all?) of the solar-panel threads, but I didn't see a couple of questions addressed.

Has anyone experience with creating a solar-panel roof mount that permits tilting and rotating rather than laying flat? (I'm talking about manual tilt/rotate, not automatic sun-tracking.) I agree that tilting/pointing is unnecessary for mid-summer camping at medium-low latitudes -- considering that a roof-flat mount is much easier. But I do a lot of mid-winter camping, and it's in winter when I use my furnace -- with power-consuming fan -- the most, and it's in winter when I use lights the most, so it's in winter when I'd appreciate battery-boosting solar the most. And where I frequently go -- southeast Oregon -- the sun at noon on Jan 1 is only 24° above the horizon -- that's a long way off-perpendicular for a flat-mounted panel. Of course, a more-complicated mount will add weight...but aluminum doesn't weigh much (does it??). This would lay flat and be secured that way when driving. (BTW: I have a 70W CIGS-type panel that weighs 22lbs.)
Comments and ideas if you've done this? Or why this is a terrible idea?
biggrin.gif

My 2005 Hawk came with a solar-panel power-receptacle on the roof...but I don't know the polarity of the fittings. There are male and female connectors, but I don't know which is pos/neg.
??

Thanks for input. :) And if these specific questions have already been discussed plenty, please point me to those threads.

Hello MarkBC

See attached sample photos.

This is the norm, but you should ALWAYS check to make sure the wires are correct before hooking the solar panel to the charge controller or the aux. camper battery.

I'm not sure that all solar panel companies are using the same wiring standards ?

I would also recommend using some "in line" fuses just to be on the safe side.

If you mount your panel to the camper roof ...

Then plug the camper into the solar plug on the roof ...

Then go inside the camper with a wire tester and double check to see what wire has power coming off of it.

Then you will know for sure what is hot & what is the ground.

Hope this helps a little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 2005 Hawk came with a solar-panel power-receptacle on the roof...but I don't know the polarity of the fittings. There are male and female connectors, but I don't know which is pos/neg.
??

Attachments

• Solar Plug (female roof plug topside) 2.jpg
    Solar Plug (female roof plug topside) 2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 497
  • Solar Plug (female roof on roof cover open).JPG
    Solar Plug (female roof on roof cover open).JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 496
  • Solar Plug (male plug usually attached to actual panel).JPG
    Solar Plug (male plug usually attached to actual panel).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 534
  • Solar Panel Wiring Picture2.jpg
    Solar Panel Wiring Picture2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 531
Hello MarkBC

See attached sample photos.

This is the norm, but you should ALWAYS check to make sure the wires are correct before hooking the solar panel to the charge controller or the aux. camper battery.

Hope this helps a little.

Stan -
Yes, this helps. My solar panel just ends in bare (color-coded) wires -- no fittings -- so it's up to me to attach a plug that matches the receptacle on the roof. After I hook the panel to the receptacle (when the sun is shining) I'll check the polarity at other ends of the solar wire before I connect to the charge controller.
And I'm glad you included the shot to show where I can find the other end of the wires...so I don't have to tear apart more of the cabinets than necessary. Thank you.
- Mark

Mark,

With the help of a knowledgeable friend, I installed a 2' x 4' solar panel in my new Fleet. We too use it in winter at 50N, so sun angle is a consideration. I opted to store the panel under the overhang, over the cab, using wheels attached to the panel and sliding the panel in on L shaped tracks made from cedar and 1/4" marine ply. Tracks are screwed down from inside. Weighs very little. After making up the connections, I have only a short one foot lead from the panel, and one or two "extension cords" to reach the two prong trailer connector on the roof. This way we can lean the panel wherever we want. Also useful in summer so you can park in shade and still get charged. Maximum flexibility of use, I figure.

Buster (Cathy's husband)

Mark,

With the help of a knowledgeable friend, I installed a 2' x 4' solar panel in my new Fleet. We too use it in winter at 50N, so sun angle is a consideration. I opted to store the panel under the overhang, over the cab, using wheels attached to the panel and sliding the panel in on L shaped tracks made from cedar and 1/4" marine ply. Tracks are screwed down from inside. Weighs very little. After making up the connections, I have only a short one foot lead from the panel, and one or two "extension cords" to reach the two prong trailer connector on the roof. This way we can lean the panel wherever we want. Also useful in summer so you can park in shade and still get charged. Maximum flexibility of use, I figure.

Buster (Cathy's husband)

Thanks for the feedback, Buster.
smile.gif

If you could confirm/clarify: Do you mean that the panel is just stored under the overhang when driving, but then you remove it and prop it up freestanding for use-- on the ground, I assume? That does make for versatility and simplicity... (assuming that's what you meant). It also means that there'd be no extra weight when lifting the roof. Got any photos of it stored and then of "deployed". Or have you already posted them somewhere else on this forum? Seems like I did see something like this posted here in my pre-posting search....?
I'd already been thinking that if I went camping before I got my panel mounted on the roof (whichever way I did that) and if I'd wanted to play with my PV that I could set it on the ground -- I have a pretty-long cable already. Hmmm.....but maybe freestanding could be my ultimate solution.

I'd still like to hear from anyone else who has mounted their PV panel any way other than roof-flat. Or why you think flat is really the only way to go.

I'd still like to hear from anyone else who has mounted their PV panel any way other than roof-flat. Or why you think flat is really the only way to go.

LQHikers did a write up on a sliding undercab solar install. I don't have a link to the post but I did save a picture. Pretty slick setup. Do a search and you can find the complete posting.

SOLARSLIDEOUTPANELS3.jpg

MarkBC,
I have a 65 watt Kyocera solar panel that I use on the ground instead of the roof. I like to park in the shade and be able to place the panel in the sun. I made adjustable legs that work pretty good on keeping the panel into the sun. I am working and away from home this week, (vancouver) and wont be home for another 12 days. I will post pics as soon as I can. -Joel

MarkBC,
I have a 65 watt Kyocera solar panel that I use on the ground instead of the roof. I like to park in the shade and be able to place the panel in the sun. I made adjustable legs that work pretty good on keeping the panel into the sun. I am working and away from home this week, (vancouver) and wont be home for another 12 days. I will post pics as soon as I can. -Joel

Thanks Skeeter/Joel. And I'd like to see your system when you can post those pics.
So, another vote for free-standing mount. This does make sense for mounting-simplicity -- since it's not mounted at all -- and for versatility of positioning/pointing.

Hmmm...For ultimate simplicity I'm thinking that the panel might be at just the right angle on my spare Lafuma... I see me and my PV panel reclining side-by-side in the sunshine...soaking up rays.
tongue.gif

I'll post photos if this happens.

We too use the cabover to store our 80W solar panel...we also like to park in the shade. Here are a couple of pictures of the slider we use made out of 2" angle aluminum. T-nuts & 1/4" SS bolts hold the rails in place (the T-nuts are installed flush with the inside of the cabover so the slideout bed doesn't get caught on them). The connector is located near the rear of the camper and wires run to the 7.5A controller. Thanks to those who posted here previously for the ideas. Cheers!

Attachments

• solar slider3.JPG
    solar slider3.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,339
  • solar slider5.JPG
    solar slider5.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 552
  • solar connector.JPG
    solar connector.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 456
eldough,
Where did you get your connector? I like the all wx cover. -joel

I found one at a local RV supply/service center...probably online sources, too.
I was looking for just the fitting that goes on the end of the solar wires But I decided to get the receptacle, too, so that I could have the option of not using the one that came standard on the roof of my Hawk, since I'm probably not going to mount the panel up there.

It works!
biggrin.gif

My solar panel (and me) soaking up some morning sunshine. Feeding about 50w into the batteries at the moment...in my favorite place in Oregon -- the Alvord Desert. In fact, I'm still out there/here now -- connected via the wonders of mobile/cellular Internet tethering.

solar-alvord_1.jpg

solar-alvord_2.jpg

I'm glad I went for the free-standing -- non-mounted -- approach. Thanks to those who suggested it -- and all who responded. - Mark
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom