Back-up Camera Install Ford Ranger

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
I recently installed a back-up camera in our truck. First I needed something to receive the video signal. My choices were three - an in dash video receiver, a rear view mirror with video capabilities, and a separate monitor. I choose an in dash receiver -

Pioneer AVH-170DVD

This is a simple touch screen unit that has a port in the rear for a video RCA connector. The only requirement we had was a rear USB port for an ipod connecting cord and touch screen control for the ipod. The only additional feature I wished for but didn't get was weatherband radio like in the Lady's Subaru. I could find this only in marine or RV headunits that cost several hundreds more. We also did not need a unit with GPS navigation.

Replacing the factory radio was fairly simple, if you've done tasks like this before. The radio bezel needed to be modified to accept a double din install kit. I found instructions here -

DIY - Ford Ranger Double Din Install

Our bezel had a coating that was starting to flake off, so part of the install was peeling this all away. The clean plastic underneath looks nice although a bit shiny.

The unit from crutchfield included the double din kit plus a wiring harness connector to plug into the factory wiring. I joined this to the supplied connector to the back of the Pioneer unit. Note - from the Pioneer connector there is a wire for a signal when the vehicle is put in reverse. I could have dug into one of the wiring harnesses in the dash and located the appropriate wire, but (because of work space and possible consequences of getting it wrong) I decided to splice into the back up light circuit in the back near where I was placing the camera since I was running the camera wires up to the cab anyway. Also, the back-up camera requires connection to switched power (when the vehicle's key is on) so I spliced into the switched power wire in the Pioneer's connector.

I choose a clarion rear view camera because it had red, yellow, and green guide lines. I also purchased the license plate frame holder for ease of placement and installation.

With the modification done to the radio bezel, I installed the receiver and plugged in the connectors. I installed the rear view camera and spliced into the back up light circuit. I ran these four wires (RCA video, switched power, reverse signal, and ground) to the front of the vehicle. I drilled a 5/8" hole through the passenger side floor, near the front right side and under the carpet. I installed a grommet and after running the wires through, sealed the hole with silicone. I put the carpet back in place and routed the wire behind the passenger side kick plate and then behind the glove box and to the back of the new receiver. RCA video plugged into the port, switched power to my connector in the wiring, and reverse signal to the connector I installed. Last was the ground to a ground connector I found screwed to the body. I finished installing the radio bezel and the assorted switches (Fog lights, 4x4, etc.) associated with the bezel. I tested it out and everything worked.

The screen and camera has viewable resolution, adequate but nothing to write home about. The touch screen controls for operation of the radio, CD/DVD player, AUX/ipod are easy to figure out and use. The interface also allows for viewing the rear view camera at anytime. In common usage, the camera automatically comes on and off when the truck is put into and out of reverse.

gallery_1902_252_105430.jpg

gallery_1902_252_11271.jpg

This was a Saturday job insofar as time required.

Hmmm....maybe I want a back-up camera in my truck, too. :)

Thanks for the description, Mr. 3pin. I'm a big fan of Crutchfield kits myself, used one to put a new music system in my truck 10 years ago. There can be cheaper places to buy a particular unit than Crutchfield, but for vehicle installs their vehicle-specific mounting kits sure make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom