Resolved - intermittent front end "pop" in a 2013 Tacoma

RC Pilot Jim

Issue Update June 2018
Rereading my initial post I realized had left out that 2 times per year we drive about 40 miles each way on very badly rutted washboard roads in a heavily loaded truck. The forty miles takes about 2-3 hours because one can't drive over 10-12 mph due to the terrain.

Tuesday of this week, a local auto shop in Vista, Ca - "Rough Road Auto", www.roughroadauto.com, that specializes in off road vehicle iissues discovered the source of the "popping" sound that occurred whenever I went through a gutter to a driveway. The popping was worse in winter than summer (Heat/cold) and was slowly getting worse.

The second gen Tacoma does not have a "boxed" frame. Toyota uses cross plates to renforce it and two "longitudinal plates to renforce the cross-plates in the front. The mechanic removed the large plate that covers the engine and front differential and checked all the bolts for tightness. Three of the bolts on the rear of the drivers side "longitudinal" plate had worked loose to finger tight. And 3 nuts on Drivers side top shock mount were loose or not torqued properly....To 5 not 28.

Tightening them has solved the issue. In the future annually I will have the mechanic check them.

Feb 2016
Returning from my last trip to the desert in February, Tacoma now makes a single "pop" noise in the front when transitioning from flat street through a gutter into a driveway or shopping Center parking lot. Noise is subtle. It is heard inside the cab not outside. No "pop" noise driving on street, turning corners on road...just going down through a gutters. Transitioning through a gentle "swail" one street to perpendicular street produces no noise.

The problem has been checked by both my mechanic and the local dealers service department. They hear the sound too, however have not located the source. Nothing seems to be broken or out of place.

Dealer got rid of me and the problem by stating that I need to remove the Eagle, remove the non-stock rear spring set, returning the vehicle back to stock... a at least $ 1,500 process I am not willing to undertake.

I know the Tacoma does not have a boxed frame. I wonder if the "twisting" is stressing the frame. I know there has been rear frame breakage with the 1st Gen Tacoma (2001 - 2003 model years). Have never read any problems with the 2nd gen Tacoma's.

Anyone out there have any ideas of where to look next?

Rule out turnbuckles and battery isolator. I've heard occasional subtle pops/clunks from them.

Make sure seats are locked in place after adjustment. My Tundra's passenger seat somehow gets loose on one side and moving seat forward or rear insufficiently to snap into latched position makes a noise when jostled some by a transition. Stops after wiggling seat back & forth enough to set latch.

Good luck. Intermittent noises are often the toughest to identify.
Paul

Previous Toyota IFS 4WD trucks are notorious for this exact noise. It is caused by the plastic covers on the steering stops being worn off. No idea if the Tacomas also used these covers, but they're an inexpensive fix if they did. Dealer should have them.

Thanks again to Zoie for recommending www.tacomaworld.com

I started a post see link " Front end clunk" TacoPhil on there forum sent me to "Found it Post" My mechanic was able to research fix from there.

I had two problems 1`) excessive play in the drivers side differential housing bearing , and 2) the clunk. Tomorrow I'm leaving on a 1200 mile trip. The bearing issue was resolved with replacement of the bearing kit. Toyota had a service bulletin on it - no recall. My mechanic checked the truck over - nothing is loose so it should be safe. Clunk is still there. There is a service bulletin on the lower ball joints though mechanic unable to pin the sound down at this point. When I return from the trip he will check it again.

These forums are invaluable for solving hard to diagnose problems.

My Tundra had a similar noise and a year later there was a recall on the lower ball joints. Had those replaced fixing noise and alignment issues. Not sure if tacos had same part failure

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Update

On the trip only heard the "clunk" once - drivers side - maybe a ball joint - source "TacomaWorld".
Going to leave it the way it is for a few months, see if anything changes.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Update

On the trip only heard the "clunk" once - drivers side - maybe a ball joint - source "TacomaWorld".
Going to leave it the way it is for a few months, see if anything changes.
Did you try to replicate in with 4WD engaged? Which BJ upper or lower? Seems unlikely.

I never had a complete ball joint failure but the noise got worse. my worker who had an 04 tundra had a complete failure on drivers side while on the freeway and it did considerable damage. If marginal I would change them they are not that expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Tuesday of this week, a local auto shop in Vista, Ca - "Rough Road Auto", www.roughroadauto.com, that specializes in off road vehicle iissues discovered the source of the "popping" sound that occurred whenever I went through a gutter to a driveway.

Read the update on the original post page 1

Nope...didn't think about taking a photo.
The next time the truck is on the lift for servicing I will take pictures and post them.

Knox, here are the photos. I don't know how to add an arrow so will do my best to describe what you are looking at.

Remove the drivers side wheel and you get this view. The upper gray area is the inside fenderwell. Below is a darker square area. In the top of the square is the power steering hose. Directly below is a darker plate with "holes" in it running left to right...higher on the left where it attaches to the cross plate. This is the "plate" I am referring too.
The picture shows one bolt upside down. Removing the gray colored metal panel below the plate gives you access to this area.

gallery_2684_767_14997.jpg

This second photo was taken with camera located behind the inner fender well.
gallery_2684_767_40192.jpg

I had the truck in to have the brakes checked before our upcoming road trip to western Colorado. He was too busy today to pull the plate to give you the underside view. Next time I will have him do that.

Brakes: After 52,100 miles - 7mm fronts, 8mm rears,

Wow thanks! I'm actually pulling my fender liners to make custom ones. (Since I cut them for larger tires)
I'm going to check these out. Never realized that they are bolted....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom