Storage Boxes

OutbacKamper

I know the fashionable "Overland" crowd seem to favour very expensive Zarges aluminum boxes or heavy & expensive Pelican cases, but I have generally used less expensive options.

For the last few years I have been mainly using Rubbermaid ActionPackers:

rubbermaid_action_packer_storage_box_101271_5.jpg

However they are a little bulky and not the most efficient shape, plus it is getting harder and harder to find them at a decent price. I was at a local sporting goods superstore recently and saw a display of Plano storage trunks. The smallest was a very handy size (24" x 15" x 13") and seemed to be made of thicker stronger plastic than the ActionPacker resulting in a more efficient shape (less curves and contours required to add strength and single ply lid). However at $30 they seemed rather expensive. Once I got home, I found the same product for $15.97 CDN (about $12 USD) at Walmart.ca . http://www.planomolding.com/tactical/storage-trunks/small-sportsman-heavy-duty-black-trunk
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plano-storage-trunk/6000066423343
This model does not have the optional O ring seal, but I am pretty sure I can retrofit some bulk weatherstripping.

1069878.jpg

I purchase 6 with free shipping from Walmart.ca online so I hope they turn out to be as useful and reliable as I think. I have several other Plano products (mainly ammo boxes) and have been please with them.

Has anyone else used these boxes?
Cheers
OutbacKamper

CC32_solid_Royal_stack_3PKS.jpg

On the other end of the spectrum as far as durability is concerned, I use these. $10 each from Costco. No lid. Great for firewood, shoes, jackets etc. and taking food on picnics. We often start a journey with dry goods in here and then tuck the crate away when no longer needed.
What I found to be most amazing is they stack on top of one another when in use, or not in use.
I've had them loaded and stacked 3 high and drove on potholed gravel and they didn't budge.

I have action packers as well, but I don't use them in the FWC due to lack of stack-ability. The shape wastes a lot of space and the lid is always in the way. They are a great product, but I think they need a design update.

Those Planos look great!!! Tough, nice shape, great use of space. They look like the stack nicely and seriously lock in place. It also looks like you can put the lid nicely underneath the to get the lid out of the way.
I look forward to your review. I think you picked a winner OutbacKamper!

Still using my Action Packers that I originally purchased 25 years ago in 1991! :D

I've looked at other products, but have not found a compelling reason to change.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bill D said:
CC32_solid_Royal_stack_3PKS.jpg

On the other end of the spectrum as far as durability is concerned, I use these. $10 each from Costco. No lid. Great for firewood, shoes, jackets etc. and taking food on picnics. We often start a journey with dry goods in here and then tuck the crate away when no longer needed.
What I found to be most amazing is they stack on top of one another when in use, or not in use.
I've had them loaded and stacked 3 high and drove on potholed gravel and they didn't budge.

I have action packers as well, but I don't use them in the FWC due to lack of stack-ability. The shape wastes a lot of space and the lid is always in the way. They are a great product, but I think they need a design update.

Those Planos look great!!! Tough, nice shape, great use of space. They look like the stack nicely and seriously lock in place. It also looks like you can put the lid nicely underneath the to get the lid out of the way.
I look forward to your review. I think you picked a winner OutbacKamper!
Those Clever Crates look like a great product. I have not seen them before, so thanks for posting. I think a couple of those would be great to take to the grocery store and use for extra/bulky food storage in the camper until it is used then fold and pack away. I was thinking of using some kind of rectanguler fabric bag for this purpose, but the Clever Crates look more multifunctional. As you say, they could also be used for firewood, muddy boots, etc.
The Plano boxes will most likely not be used in the camper. I usually have several boxes of gear in the back of the cab that I unload and leave outside while camping. Something that is weather resistant and sturdy enough to use as a seat. The great think about them is that they will, hopefully, be weather proof enough (after adding a weatherstip) to use on a roof rack or cargo carrier as well.

Thanks for posting info about Clever Crates! I had not seen collapsible crates such as those. Off to Costco this AM to take at look at them!

I've been using Front Runner Wolfpack crates for some time but always looking for other storage ideas.

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Still using my Action Packers that I originally purchased 25 years ago in 1991! :D

I've looked at other products, but have not found a compelling reason to change.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm in this camp. Although I agree with OutbacKamper's comments, we use action packers and they work well for us. They fit in our camper perfectly. The shape actually works to our advantage as we stuff long items along side them in the space left near the floor. Having said that, it's always interesting to see new ideas.

More pics here: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-camper-after-one-year.html

IMG_0936.jpg

takesiteasy said:
I have used my ActionPackers on the floor, in a previous camper and a camper shell, in the same way and they worked well. However, after years of having to unpack and organize the camper, prior to entering, I have made a vow to myself to not travel with anything stored on the floor of my new camper. Time will tell if I am able to make it work, but I am determined to simplify my camping setup.

I agree- the schlepping of boxes is a pain and I endorse your approach. We usually don't have so many boxes in the camper, most times just one large and one small one. If we didn't have our dog traveling in the back seat area, we would use that area and not have to move them to get in the camper. They usually come out when we camp in any event since we do our cooking and living mostly outside. They get stored in the truck at night.

Action Lockers are a nice product, but keep in mind they don't stack, which is why I no longer use them. The Plano storage trunks are stackable, but are a little larger. Because they have straight sides they hold quite a bit more.

My experience so far, and I also try to have nothing on the camper floor except my Torklift scissor steps.

takesiteasy said:
I'm in this camp. Although I agree with OutbacKamper's comments, we use action packers and they work well for us. They fit in our camper perfectly. The shape actually works to our advantage as we stuff long items along side them in the space left near the floor. Having said that, it's always interesting to see new ideas.

takesiteasy said:
I agree- the schlepping of boxes is a pain and I endorse your approach. We usually don't have so many boxes in the camper, most times just one large and one small one. If we didn't have our dog traveling in the back seat area, we would use that area and not have to move them to get in the camper. They usually come out when we camp in any event since we do our cooking and living mostly outside. They get stored in the truck at night.

BrianG said:
Action Lockers are a nice product, but keep in mind they don't stack, which is why I no longer use them. The Plano storage trunks are stackable, but are a little larger. Because they have straight sides they hold quite a bit more.

My experience so far, and I also try to have nothing on the camper floor except my Torklift scissor steps.
When we ordered our Panther from ATC we had it constructed w/o any built-ins to maximize stowage capacity. Our Action Packers are stowed under the galley counter top and are therefore never "in the way" for camper access. One packer holds our stove and all of our pots & pans. The other is used for dry goods storage.

Action Packer Stowage.JPG

I use Rubbermaid Roughneck totes- the lid has no holes so water stays out, and they remain flexible in below freezing temps so they don't crack, and they nest or stack well.
I also have the collapsible crates, but they are not nearly as durable and mostly limited to indoor use.

The Plano boxes look sturdy enough to step or stand on; I'll be checking them out.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
No luck in finding the Clever Crates at our Wilsonville Costco. I guess a trip north is in order ;) .
I've seen places that sell them online, I'm on my iPad right now, so searching is a pain.

Just so you know, I bought one clever crate first to make sure I liked them. I absolutely love it so I bought two more. I think they are wonderful. Really strong for something that collapses. I've had them stuffed and overflowing with firewood numerous times and then my GF and I will carry them with one hand each on the crate 1/4 mile or so into picnic sites etc. and they hold up extremely well.
I'm not sure what your expectations are, but I'm impressed.
I wouldn't use them for hunters traps, tire chains etc. an Action Packer or Plano is more suited for heavy metal and abuse.

One other thing that I have noticed about the clever crate is the bottom of the crate is extremely grippy on carpet, I think it has a honeycomb design. It doesn't slide or move around much in the back of the camper, in fact it seems to stick in place. I like this. That being said an Action Packer slides with ease, which others may like if they slide heavy totes full of gear into place.

On another note, the Clever Crates are thin enough when collapsed to store on the kitchen counter with the FWC top down. I thought this was pretty cool, given I never use that space. I usually flip one upside down and put it on top of the stove. The lip of the crate keeps it from falling off the stove.

Like COBlue, we have used Rubbermaid Roughneck containers for many years, and we use them for the reasons he mentions. Two additional benefits are that they are available in many different colors (we put dry foods in one color, emergency gear in a different color, etc.) and they only cost $6.00 or $7.00. Also, theyd last forever. No sexism intended here, but I recently picked up a pink one at a yard sale which I gave to my wife for her personal clothing and other female items.

Rubbermaid roughnecks certainly serve our needs.

We especially like the fact there are whole and half sizes.

Further, one can interlock stack them in a manner across front of the camper and they stay put even off road.

The generally small size is easy to hoist to the upper bunk.

They seem the perfect size for our needs.

Thinking warm Baja thoughts on the NorthOregon Coast

DavidGraves

I happened to be at my local Costco today and they had a skid of Clever Crates for $9.99 CDN each (about $7.50 USD). I decided to grab 3, since I can always return them but once they are sold out, Costco has a habit of discontinuing items. I will post a more detailed review/comparison at another time of the Clever Crate, Action Packer, Plano Trunk and Rubbermaid Roughneck. One thing that I noticed right away is that the Clever Crate and Plano Trunk are very similar in size, in fact the Plano will stack on top of the Clever Crate when collapsed. Also the Clever Crates are made in Luxembourg, which I found surprising.

OutbacKamper said:
I happened to be at my local Costco today and they had a skid of Clever Crates for $9.99 CDN each (about $7.50 USD). I decided to grab 3, since I can always return them but once they are sold out, Costco has a habit of discontinuing items. I will post a more detailed review/comparison at another time of the Clever Crate, Action Packer, Plano Trunk and Rubbermaid Roughneck. One thing that I noticed right away is that the Clever Crate and Plano Trunk are very similar in size, in fact the Plano will stack on top of the Clever Crate when collapsed. Also the Clever Crates are made in Luxembourg, which I found surprising.
They're in stock here in Oregon, too.

Back
Top Bottom