Eyebolts installation video

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.
This video will be of a lot of help to people.

I did mine on my own and know the tips in this video would have come in handy.

Excellent!

When I moved my camper from my old Super Duty to my new SD last year, I just drilled the eye bolt holes in the same locations without knowing the "Why".

Fortunately my dealer, Sean, has likely installed hundreds of campers so copying the old to new was spot on.

Is there a reason 4 Wheel doesn't use the outside the bed tiedowns? I have a Happijack system with Torklift Fastguns for my present camper. I intend to use this system on the 4 Wheel I'm restoring. I'll be installing eye bolts on the wing edge up through the aluminum frame before doing the siding and inside paneling. I also notice most folks aren't running with their jacks on. Maybe the reason for the inside tiedowns and no jacks is for off roading? I have a handicapped wife, so my camper comes off when we camp, unless it's 1 night stop traveling.

shellback said:
Is there a reason 4 Wheel doesn't use the outside the bed tiedowns? I have a Happijack system with Torklift Fastguns for my present camper. I intend to use this system on the 4 Wheel I'm restoring. I'll be installing eye bolts on the wing edge up through the aluminum frame before doing the siding and inside paneling. I also notice most folks aren't running with their jacks on. Maybe the reason for the inside tiedowns and no jacks is for off roading? I have a handicapped wife, so my camper comes off when we camp, unless it's 1 night stop traveling.
Don't forget you MUST support the floor on a FWC if off the truck.

Its hard to believe that they are still securing campers weighing 900+ pounds to the bed with lightweight aluminum turnbuckles and an eyebolt through about 1/16 of sheet metal. Even with the large plates beneath it, thats a recipe for disaster, especially for people who travel off road.

My 2012 Tacoma, with the composite bed, uses a well engineered mounting plate that uses the bolts that attach the bed to the frame to secure it. One should replace the aluminum open hook turnbuckles with ones that are forged, at minimum. Couldn't they design a similar bracket for other trucks?

The Happijack is interesting but the brackets that are used to attach to the front frame would not last long on many backroads.

kmacafee said:
Its hard to believe that they are still securing campers weighing 900+ pounds to the bed with lightweight aluminum turnbuckles and an eyebolt through about 1/16 of sheet metal. Even with the large plates beneath it, thats a recipe for disaster, especially for people who travel off road.

My 2012 Tacoma, with the composite bed, uses a well engineered mounting plate that uses the bolts that attach the bed to the frame to secure it. One should replace the aluminum open hook turnbuckles with ones that are forged, at minimum. Couldn't they design a similar bracket for other trucks?

The Happijack is interesting but the brackets that are used to attach to the front frame would not last long on many backroads.

They are lighter duty, but the torklift frame mounts might give more problems with road clearance. I just installed my second set on a new truck. They seem heavier than those I installed 8 years ago.

I found and viewed this video over a year ago.....

My 2 cents....the FWC dealer I purchased from in Tigard Oregon installs these tie downs day in and day out...they are practiced and professional...so why would I presume that I could install the tie downs better than they could?

Really, how many anchors have pulled out? Again, is this a frequent or anticipated issue? I do appreciate that my '05 Tundra has a steel bed and not one of the newer aluminum or "composite" truck beds that are becoming more common.

Soooo, I viewed the FWC video and then watched the anchors being placed in my Tundra when I went to pickup our new Hawk..it is not rocket science.

I will say that I have replaced the OEM turnbuckles with higher strength ones and added locking nuts to hold the correct tension. Yes, I understand the "weakest link" premise and will periodically monitor all components.

Hey if something needs 'fixin', fix it. Great camper and truck, we are extremely satisfied with both.

Phil

Oh yes, external tie downs are 'external' and off road you want to minimize your profile and eliminate anything that can snag a rock or tree. Same reason I leave my FWC corner jacks at home. If you must load and off load the camper frequently, look into the remotely controlled electric jacks. Easy and precise control.

Of course, I could be wrong! :D

Back
Top Bottom