Getting stickers off?

JoeKan

I bought a 1967 Alaskan this past summer and as I was getting it cleaned up, I noticed a park sticker that the PO had put on it way back in 1972. I'm wanting to take it off but it is baked on really good. I'm afraid if I go scraping it off, I'll scratch the siding. Anyone have an idea or would I be better of with just living with it on there?
Thanks!
Joe

Try repeated applications of lighter fluid. Works wonders on old sticker residue and at the very least won't damage your finish. (test first.)

If you get the main part of the sticker off (I'm assuming vinyl sticker and not a decal) you might be left with residue. That orange stuff, Goo Gone is one brand, will remove the gunk.

At that age there may be a shadow of the sticker left in the paint that you can't remove without removing the paint. Over a long enough time the adhesive penetrates the paint and becomes part of it. I learned this when I found out that a car that I was repainting used to below to So CA Gas Co. because even though the sticker was gone, you could still clearly see their flame logo as a slightly different shade in the paint on the doors. The whole car had "lacquer-checked" and had to go to bare metal. The paint with the adhesive in it was the toughest of all to remove.

Thanks everyone. The more I look at it, I think it's permanently on. NTSQD is describing what I think mine is.

If the sticker is vinyl, try a hair blower to soften first, then using an old credit card to scrape off.

If you feel the edge of the sticker with your finger, you should be able to remove it. Use a hair dryer or heat gun on low setting to remove sticker. Then Goo Gone to remove any residue. Then wash with warm soapy (Dawn) water and rinse.

But as ntsqd stated, if its been on there that long, expect a shadow in the paint once you remove the sticker and residue.

Good luck!

I'd park the vehicle so the sun is on it long enough to be pretty HOT to the touch. Given that its winter, you have to go past this step and start with the hair dryer which you will use several times as you go...then WD-40.....then try to lift an edge and try to peel it off. If you get it to start to lift, the hair dryer and more WD-40 may do the trick. I like the plastic scraper, or a credit card I guess as a metal tool will probably scratch the paint.

In the end if the paint has faded because the sticker has "protected it" for years and if it shadows the paint job, you might just have to live with it or find another sticker more to your liking to cover it up!

Goo Gone is a good product and I love Dawn to remove any petroleum products from wooden hammer shafts to greasy parts. They use it to get bunker fuel off birds when a ship sinks or a pipeline bursts and it works.

Back
Top Bottom