FWC bent front corner

wishn2bfishn

Hello.

So I just bought a Hawk that has a slightly bent front corner on the popup. PO lifted top with the latch still attached. Hoping there is someone with previous experience with this with a direction to go to have it fixed....

Thanks

I think you meant to post this in the FWC forum. The Mods will figure it out and fix it.

Anyways I have had to do this on a "friends" camper... It is a easy fix. There is a 1x1" aluminum tube around the outside of the roof. This is what you need to bend back. For reference the trim around the roof is screwed into this tube.

Here is a photo from when I gutted the roof. Not the best shot but you get the idea..
full

What I did was lift the roof part way up and securely supported it. This will give you some slack in the canvas. Next from the outside I mounted a strong steel pipe/beam on the 1x1 tube to the underside of the roof (carefully sandwiching the vinyl). To mount it I used several C clamps. The key is to use about 3" spacers between the beam and the camper. The roof has a little bit of spring and this will allow you to over bend the roof to account for the spring back. Finally use some C clamps around the bent area to slowly pull the roof back into shape. You may have to add blocking between the roof and beam at the crease from the original bend. I took photos when I fixed my roof but cant find them right now.

The good news is our campers are super durable and an be bent back several times.

Back
Top Bottom