5.5 years on a East Penn MFG AGM Intimidator camper battery

RC Pilot Jim

I do Field Reports on my original Post where this one will end up.

On September 2015 I replaced my 3.4 year old Intimidator with another Intimidator, in part because I was happy with it even though through stupidity I ran the battery too low several times which affected its life. Other reason it was still manufactured in America.

The new one came with a 2 year guarantee. After 5.5 years it still Tests by my mechanic GOOD

Test Report 2/3/21 10:24am

Volts 12.69v
Measured 736 cca
Rating 710 cca

Starter Test (Note its used an a camper battery not starter battery)
cranking 11.26v

Charging Test
No Problems

No Load Loaded
13.72v 13.64v

I attribute the long life to keeping the battery 99-100% fully charged all the time. I have a 150 watt solid panel on the camper roof. Last year because of Covid I drove the vehicle 3,533 miles in 12 months. Still the battery maintained at 99-100% fully charged. Camper is mounted full time on our truck. We store it under a carport on the northside of our house (mobile home). Our neighbor has a white roof facing south. We get enough reflection to maintain the battery.

Once it was 4 years old I had it tested before that winters camping season. Each year its tested Good. I have asked the mechanic how long it will last? His reply, doesn't know for sure but it should last at least 5 years.

Another good way is to use a "Battery Tender" We have something similar that we use on board when camping in bad weather. Its part of our basic electrical system in our shell. The night before leaving on a trip we will plug in electric power to run the fridge and maintain the battery overnight the first night. Then rely on solar and alternator on our trip.

Nice write up, Jim. You're getting your mileage out of that Penn battery. I've been negligent about keeping our previous AGM battery charged up when it sits in the garage.

Pretty nifty you can park your camper under cover, and get enough reflected light to keep the battery trickle charged. The best of both worlds!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom