Genoa Peak

craig333

Riley's Human
Left town late Friday. Spent the night at a little spot I know along the Silver Fork of the American River. While digging my cat hole I spotted a deer up on the hill. Took the dog for a walk up that way. Wound up following a heavily used deer trail that runs along a fence line (so I knew I couldn't get lost) when I see some tracks that include claw marks. Hmmm, bear or mountain lion are the only things I can think of. Anyone know how to tell the difference?

Had breakfast at the place by Kirkwood, then on up to the trailhead. Kinda strange. You drive through a residential neighborhood to get there.

I used 4low mostly just to take it easy on the truck. Only one spot on the way to the peak would I say I needed 4wd. A smaller truck would have no problem in 2wd. Fantastic views from along the trail. Unfortunately it doesn't have much remoteness factor. Saw two motorcycles, half a dozen atv's, a couple woodcutters and of course the tour hummer. Took two hours not counting a lunch break.

Went home via 50 to the wrights lake road then over to the ice house road. Was going to have a beer at Robb's Resort but found its closed and for sale again. Went up Wentworth springs road and found a little spot to spend the night. Then breakfast in Georgetown and on home.

Hmmm, couldn't figure out how to get the pics from the gallery so here's the old fashioned way.

theseguys.jpg

theroad.jpg

pavement.jpg

tahoe.jpg

moretahoe.jpg

moredifficult.jpg

carsonvalley.jpg

arewethereyet.jpg

Nice pics. Looks like it was a good trip.

I think the track you saw was a Hummer track. ;)

To the left of the GPS is a cougar print. Since it's a cat, it keeps it's claws retracted unless it's taking care of business.

cougar_print_50.jpg

Left town late Friday. Spent the night at a little spot I know along the Silver Fork of the American River. While digging my cat hole I spotted a deer up on the hill. Took the dog for a walk up that way. Wound up following a heavily used deer trail that runs along a fence line (so I knew I couldn't get lost) when I see some tracks that include claw marks. Hmmm, bear or mountain lion are the only things I can think of. Anyone know how to tell the difference?
...snip...

Cats and dogs have 4 toes. Bears have 5 toes. Also, the rear foot print of a bear is longer than the front foot print.

Does your dog chase deer? Mine do, and it scares me every time because deer hooves are very sharp and serrated. One kick can open a dog from head to tail. Fortunately, deer are much faster than my dogs and we haven't encountered any deer where they could become trapped, thus they get away almost as soon as the chase starts.

Nice pics Craig...like the shot of Yuma chilling in the rear window.

P.S. Nice looking rack(s)
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom