best 1/2 ton suspension upgrades?

baron

Well I just bought a '92 Silverado ext cab with 6 1/2 foot bed. It has the Z71 OFFROAD package if that makes any suspension difference. And yesterday I found a '94 Palomino B1000 that will fit the truck with tailgate down. I am concerned about the weight issue. I believe it to be about 1200# dry. How can I best prepare the truck's suspension for this pop up? I will be traveling to pick it up and want no suspension issues.

These are usually the type of suspension upgrades we recommend to our customers ...

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/products/rrinfo.shtml

http://www.supersprings.com

http://www.airliftcompany.com/ride_control.html

http://www.pacbrake.com/index.php?page=air-suspension

http://www.hellwigproducts.com

Each customer is different, but it seems like alot of our customers these days are installing the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags and having good success.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

<br />Well I just bought a '92 Silverado ext cab with 6 1/2 foot bed. It has the Z71 OFFROAD package if that makes any suspension difference. And yesterday I found a '94 Palomino B1000 that will fit the truck with tailgate down. I am concerned about the weight issue. I believe it to be about 1200# dry. How can I best prepare the truck's suspension for this pop up? I will be traveling to pick it up and want no suspension issues.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Like Stan said, there are several ways to outfit the suspension. I was at the same point a year ago, wanting to make sure the suspension on my truck was adequate. I have a 2008 F-150, and after reading all of the information on this site I wound up installing the Firestone Ride-Rite airbags. I ordered them on line and installed them myself. It was a piece of cake installing them. No drilling and they bolt on easily. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I use my truck for work also, so my camper is on and off frequently. For that reason, I went with the air bags so I could adjust the ride regardless of the truck being loaded or not.

There have been major discussions on this site regarding the various ways to upgrade a suspension. This is what works for me, and I have no experience with the other systems.

I hope this helps!

Paul

just a side note / the flip side of things ...

we have SuperSprings on most all of the work trucks here

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 -- "supersprings" (300,000 miles on truck).

2000 Chevy 2500 -- "supersprings" (260,000 miles on truck).

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 -- "supersprings" (180,000 miles on truck).

2001 Toyota Tundra -- "hellwig helper springs" (130,000 miles on truck).

My truck is a 2000 Ford F-150 -- "supersprings"

The over-load springs or helper springs are nice if you don't want to add air or have to worry about air lines potentially leaking. But with the over-load springs or helper springs your truck will ride a bit rough when the camper is not on the truck, and there is not much adjustability in the springs.

The air bags should give you a smoother ride when the camper is off the truck, and you have more control on ride and how much air you put in them. Only disadvantage ... they need a little maintenance from time to time (no big deal though).

I'm not a suspension expert, but here is a quick over view ...

maybe go with over-load springs or helper springs for easy, reliability, no maintenance.

maybe go with air bags for the more flexibility & versatility & smoother ride when empty

The air bags REALLY lift the truck fast & easy if you are carrying alot of weight in a 1/2 ton truck.

If you were to put a 1200# camper on that and load the usual items and people chances are high you will be over the total load carrying capacity. Springs will help with sag but doesn't do anything for total carrying capacity. And given that it is a 92 there is a good chance the stock/original springs are shot and it would seem wise to start by replacing them, perhaps with a heftier version.

Good replies All!
This truck has only 65k miles and rear leafs are in excellent shape. I think I like the idea of the air bags. I will have to price them out and decide. I thought maybe Helwigs didn't stiffen the ride unless loaded?
Thanks so much
baron

I added a leaf to my rear springs, this helps with the weight of the camper, I also added air bags to help with sway. When the camper is on the truck I run 20 lbs in the air bags, inflate my 10 ply tires to 55 lbs. When camper off, the air bags go down to 5 lbs and tires to 45 psi to help with the ride. I have a Hawk on a 06' Ford F150 w/5.4 engine. This combo seems to work so far without any problems. Godd luck with your new camper !!

Well I just bought a '92 Silverado ext cab with 6 1/2 foot bed. It has the Z71 OFFROAD package if that makes any suspension difference. And yesterday I found a '94 Palomino B1000 that will fit the truck with tailgate down. I am concerned about the weight issue. I believe it to be about 1200# dry. How can I best prepare the truck's suspension for this pop up? I will be traveling to pick it up and want no suspension issues.

Don't for get the sway bar. I have a Hellwig Bar on my 2005 Tundra. Had to make a quick lane change when cut off by an idiot on I-5, sway bar now paid for. I may have rolled without it, I could fell it stop the sway.

Bill in STockton

Good replies All!
This truck has only 65k miles and rear leafs are in excellent shape. I think I like the idea of the air bags. I will have to price them out and decide. I thought maybe Helwigs didn't stiffen the ride unless loaded?
Thanks so much
baron

I neglected to mention in my last post that in addition to the air bags, I also changed out the cheesey "P" rated tires that came with the truck and put Load range "E" tires on. I can't tell you what a difference the higher pressure tires made both on . . and off road. The sway I experienced with the old tires completely disappeared with the "E" range tires. That alone has made me feel much safer than with the old tires.

Paul

I have a 2003 Tundra access cab w/ a 2009 hawk. I put on Helwig helper springs, and skipped the air bags. I did a 4500 mile shake down and it seems I will add a sway bar for a just in case situation like described above. They are only a couple hundred buecks and I think even with my bleak mechanic skills I could DYI on the install!!

Good luck

-mike

I'll toss in a rec for Timbrens. Easy to install....no air leaks....doubles as a sway bar....inexpensive...you can intall em yourself.

good luck with your choice

mtn

I would add Bilstein shocks to the list of suspension addons. 5100s or at least the heavy dutys. My 05 Tacoma has Supersprings, Ride rites and Bilsteins and works great. Bilstein 5100s on the front next.

Back
Top Bottom