Rear Door Seal Replacement

Brad's Dad

Advanced Member
The seal around my rear entry door (made by Phillips which is no longer in business) has shrunk and needs replacing. A new gasket is coming from FWC but has anyone ever replaced this? Looks like the alum door frame that the seal fits into comes apart at all 4 corners (to slip the seal into the channel) but I'm wondering about any other considerations like resealing the frame to the main door panel. Anyway, if anyone can share their expereiences replacing this gasket I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Fred

Same problem here, Fred. [no pic]

Maybe I can revive this old thread and someone can chime in?
I noticed that the weatherstrip in the door has shrunk back 1-2" from the corners, allowing the door to vacuum dust into the camper.
My Hawk is now six years old.

I hope I can order replacement weatherstripping to replace the failed seals. If I come up with a solution, I'll let you know.

I need some too for a 2003 Eagle. Mine has some rubber along the door frame on the inside rim of the door and then there's some traditional foam weather stripping along the door frame on the camper.

Here's a couple of shots off my phone.

I measured the bead and it looks like 5/16th with a narrow channel to slide the weatherstrip into.
It looks like you need to take the door apart, at least three sides, leaving the door latch side attached, to replace the w.strip.

Kind of bummed to see a failure like this. Either non-shrinking weatherstrip or securing the material at the ends seems necessary.
I suppose the new round top doors will be better, but they still have two corner joints compared to the four joints on my Hawk.

That's exactly what mine looks like. Have you found the material to replace it with? How much and where if you have.

Thanks.

I purchased mine from Tom in Parts at 4WC back in '10.

The key to getting the right gasket was knowing the door manufacturer (if I recall correctly that long ago). He knew which type of gasket to send and did. Mine was made by Phillips.

I took my door apart at opposite corners to access the grooves for sliding in the gasket so minimal dissassembly would be needed.

Went smoothly after I used a toothbrush and compressed air to clean the door grooves so the gasket would slide in plus some silicone spray. Plus I tried to push a little extra length of gasket into the groove to make up for future shrinkage but not too much as the gasket will deform and perhaps not make as good of a seal.

Fred

Update:
I've talked to Shaw at FWC and he will be shipping me w/s on Monday.

------------------------------Update--------------------------

Nope, FWC does not have the weatherstrip to support their campers. They offered me an old dusty roll of adhesive backed weatherstrip for the cost of shipping, to which I declined.

I can buy generic stick-on w/s at my local hardware store. I'm trying to put in a real door seal, hopefully that will stay put better than OEM. It's a small 5/16" rubber bulb with some sort of tee shaped spline, which slides into the aluminum channel on the door.

Shaw at FWC told me the door came from a company called Challenger with weatherstrip pre-installed. I googled Challenger, but only came up with a euro RV rental agency.

I've looked at Grainger, McMaster, etc. and can't locate a rubber bulb, slide in seal. The closest I've come is with this company: http://uni-grip.com/?portfolio=slide-out-seals
Or with McMaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=uxtiqg

Anyone else have any ideas? I hate to drive down the dirt road, knowing I'm sucking a bunch of dust into the camper due to faulty seals.

Lighthawk said:
I may have found a source:

http://www.strybuc.com/public/Catalogs/Strybuc/Strybuc-Window-and-Door-Hardware-Catalog-2013/#?page=257

Look at item 63-247
Navigation is a bit primitive and you can't really see a close up of the product. It's a 7/32" bulb with an 1/8" tee.
I need to call them and see if they will sell a minimum quantity. I probably only need 12 feet.
They will sell a 100' roll for $58+ship. Now all I need is five more guys that need to replace their weatherstripping!

Lighthawk: I'd be willing to get some of this if it works. Count me in if you are interested in taking the lead and then sending out the amount we all need.

Kevin

What ever happened with this? I'd like to get my rig ready for spring and this was/is on my list.

Thanks,

Kevin

That is commonly called a bulb vinyl door seal. You can find it on amazon. It should be available from CR Laurence.

I'll be posting photos shortly. I've searched Amazon and everywhere else, but haven't found a better match.
This morning I pulled off one side of the door and cut a piece of the OEM seal to compare to the sample.

Photos to follow.

Bummer, guys! I got the sample from Strybuc and it looked good, but the base of the tee flange that slides into the door channel is just a hair too big. It looks like original bulb seal has a 2mm flange and the seal I located is 3mm. I tried to slide it into the door and it just won't fit.

I'm presenting photos here to show others how specific the replacement seal needs to be.
Click on images to choose larger viewing sizes

New on left, OEM on right Notice OEM is also slightly larger in diameter too.

Showing bottom flange: New on bottom 3mm, OEM on top 2mm

So . . . no dice. I'll keep looking, but maybe someone else here knows where to locate replacement door seals. :sneaky:

Back
Top Bottom