The Perfect Fuel and Water Carrier?

home skillet

Love my subscription to the Overland Expedition Journal. I get to be the first hear about the latest expedition gear. (Shameless plug for the OEJ).

The latest issue sneak peak showcases the new RotopaX protable fuel and water carriers.

The thing that is so intrigueing about this setup is that it is so versatile. You can mount it anywhere and with the simple twist of knob. No more bulky metal can holders or rusted out cans. It also is extremly modular and you can stack them or mount them end to end. These guys have really made a great product.
The only drawback that I can see is that it is only 4 gallons vs the usual 5.

xctmpBV4xZl.png

check out: http://www.rotopax.com/Gasoline/ for the whole picture.

Any thoughts?

Home Skillet

Where were you thinking about mounting these? On the back of the camper?

IMO heavy items should not be mounted on the backs of these campers. Heavy off road use will take it's toll. I recently had to have my Hawk repaired due to cracks in the frame in the rear of the camper (causing a crack to appear in the camper skin above the door).....and this was without any heavy items mounted on it.

I quess it all depends on how much you beat the camper off road. Some folks might be OK with the extra weight there....as for me.....no way I would do it.

cracks.JPG

Great point. In my mind I had imagined putting one near the bottom of the rear wall (maybe less torqing around?). Other places were a good basket roof rack like on their website or even mounted on the truck somehow. With my new camper build there is no internal frame and the laminated design would hold up better (I think).

Water is 8lbs perr gall, right? So we are talking around 32 lbs per container since they are only 4 gal. That's not a ton of weight. I don't know how a campe wall would take that. Maybe a reinforcment plate would help, but then you are defeating the purpose of the "rackless" system.

More thoughts?

Home Skillet

This is what I have been using for water, 5.5 gallons. Online from Walmart, $19.95, straps on the bumper and has been secure for the last 20,000 miles :D . Spout is good for filling my FWC internal tank. Petrol, I have 38 gallons, that should be good enough.

The Reliance Products Rhino Pak is a heavy duty water container made of rugged, puncture resistant foodgrade high density material. The premium spigot and vent cap allow the container to be stored on its side. The patterned side panels allow the unit to nest together when stacked on its side or standing up. The Rhino Pak fits most standard ATV racks and it is ideally suited for any adventure where water is needed.
Heavy duty water container
Made of rugged, puncture resistant foodgrade high density material
Premium spigot and vent cap allow it to be stored on its side
Patterned side panels allow the unit to nest together when stacked on its side or standing up
Fits most standard ATV racks
Suitable for any adventure where water is needed

This is what I have been using for water, 5.5 gallons. Online from Walmart, $19.95, straps on the bumper and has been secure for the last 20,000 miles :D . Spout is good for filling my FWC internal tank. Petrol, I have 38 gallons, that should be good enough.

Was there a link to this thing?

Thanks for the link. Looks tough.
$20 for the jug + $20-40 for a mounted holder = around $50. I guess if a person was to want to mount it on the side of a rig or camper then the RotopaX at $80 or so isn't that bad. Still, hard to beat Walmart for cheap gear.
How to you strap it to your bumper? Any pictures?
Home Skillet

Homey,
I just bought an Adventure Trailers fuel can holder for my truck. I will mount it on the right side of the door on the back of my camper. Marty reinforced my camper frame there instead of a window just for that purpose.
Good luck with this. If you're like me, I spent a lot of time researching before I bought.
Since my fuel can is mounted higher then my gas tank, I also bought a jiggler with a hose long enough to reach to the bottom of the fuel can and around into my truck gas tank. Now when I need extra fuel, I wont have to remove the fuel can, just open, jiggle a siphon, and watch it flow.

IMGP0326.jpg

I love the Rotopax. I carry 4 gallons fuel and 4 gallons water.

Jeff

Wow now there's a clever idea!

The top of the Tacoma is crowned at the middle. The closest the diamond plate mount gets to the cab is 3/4" and then gains from there as you move to the edge of the cab. First time out, (Mojave Road) I did clay balls to see how much it moves to the cab was never closer than a 1/2".
Hope this helps.
Jeff

The top of the Tacoma is crowned at the middle. The closest the diamond plate mount gets to the cab is 3/4" and then gains from there as you move to the edge of the cab. First time out, (Mojave Road) I did clay balls to see how much it moves to the cab was never closer than a 1/2".
Hope this helps.
Jeff

Sounds like you got the size just right. Is it just over 3'' thick?

So are you carrying four 2 gallon containers up there?

Sounds like you got the size just right. Is it just over 3'' thick?

So are you carrying four 2 gallon containers up there?

Sort of, the fuel is a single 4 gallon and the water is two 2 gallon containers.
I also have a A/T fuel can holder on the back.
IMGP0711.jpg

IMGP0326.jpg

I love the Rotopax. I carry 4 gallons fuel and 4 gallons water.

Jeff

Jeff, I'm really curious about these containers and your set-up looks like a great use of space. How are your Rotopax attached to the bottom of the cab-over? Did you use their factory mounts or design your own?

Back
Top Bottom