Portable Tire Compressors

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
What are folks using for a portable tire compressor? I've got a small 12 volt unit made by Slime, but I'm not sure if it has the muscle to air up all four tires on the truck after reducing pressure in sand or ultra rough terrain.

Any recommendations?

My recommendation is to reduce the pressure in your tires to the minimum you expect to use and then see if your existing unit will bring all four of them back up. In your driveway of course. If it works and you aren't hankering for a new toy you could call it good. I have a $60 portable 12V compressor; the one with the jumper cables and fluorescent lights. Not the unit to give me a lot of confidence on an expedition, but that little compressor surprised me. At a wilderness trail head I loaned it to a horse packer with a completely flat tire. He needed 80psi and darned if my inexpensive little unit didn't sit there and pump away until he got it all. It took at least 30 minutes, but it had power left over and didn't get very hot. I was impressed.

My current truck came with a small tank and compressor built-in, install by the previous owner. Very handy.

I"m still using the MV-50 but I'm hoping Santa brings me a CO2 setup. Unfortunately I don't think I've been quite that good :)

Pretty sure I mentioned it before, the quick air 2 in my Jeep sucks.

I have a Viair 450P. Definitely more expensive than some of the others, but it's a 100% duty cycle and I have no complaints. Haven't timed it but don't find the time to air up or down excessive.

I started out with a Firestone Ride-rite pump but that was not good in the long run but was great for keeping a small tank filled for the ARB air locker...That truck has since been long gone. The 4 Runner has more limited space and bought a MV-50 and worked as advertised. I bought a second one to have two as one for a back up. The new one was not the same quality as the one I had bought years before... it went back.

What to do? After looking at reviews I bought a DC voltage Puma unit through Blizzard Gulch. 1.5 gallon tank, 100 percent duty cycle it can run and run. Airs up 4 Runner tires and the Casita tires easily. Have not tried running any air tools. For the money it was good for me. (now at $285.00).

I separated the tank from the compressor and have it inside in the back of the Runner. You have to be creative when you have limited space. The old truck I even had things inside the front quarter panels!

Now the Puma is the main unit and the MV-50 is the backup. Going solo I just like the idea of having two and the MV-50 is small and takes up limited amount space.

I've got a Slime cigarette lighter powered one too. Have had it for years actually. If you're trying to get all 4 back to 50-60+ PSI you probably want to consider something else but like 4llamas said I'd try it first. Actually it's a pretty good unit for what it is and I've used it a lot on ATV and trailer tires. I've also got a Harbor Freight knockoff of the expedition type compressors. I've had good luck with it. The real test for it was my Dad. He bought one to use off his quad to inflate things he couldn't reach with his shop truck, (he was a farmer). Inflated big tires. little tires, small air jack and so forth. It did not have enough umph to run an impact wrench or the like though. Still had it when he retired a few years ago.

Good luck with your decision.

I have MV-50 which does okay for us. It is compact and rides behind the front seat in our Tundra.
My only complaint is the proprietary quick disconnect.

Even after getting this system up and running on the truck I plan to continue carrying the MV-50 as a back-up.

Somewhere out there one of the pages on the MV-50s & clones/cousins I found a guy that had done some research on the QD fittings. As I recall they are a Japanese standard part, though I don't recall any details. A search should be able to find that page. Not sure if that helps any, but knowing what to ask for would be huge towards finding them if you needed more for some reason.

Lighthawk said:
I have MV-50 which does okay for us. It is compact and rides behind the front seat in our Tundra.
My only complaint is the proprietary quick disconnect.
I used a standard tap and cut new threads in the unit's head and installed over the counter fitting to match all the rest of my system.

Back
Top Bottom