Wheel Well Shims

iowahiker

I had previously posted installing 1x6" shims at the wheel wells in my Ford F-150 because the camper was "walking" sideways 1/4-3/8". I have since added a 1/4" piece of lath on one side in addition to the 1x6" to remove all the space between the wheel wells and the camper but NOT wedge the camper into the bed, 1/16" free space remains. 1 or 2 turnbuckles needed to be tightened every 1,000-2,000 miles before the wheel well shims were installed and I have only tightened one turnbuckle in over 6,000 miles after adding the wheel well shims. In addition, the camper is not "walking" sideways with the shims and instead remains centered. I suspect the one turnbuckle tightening was needed to settle the camper against a shim because the one adjustment occurred early in the 6,000+ mile term. The shims are not attached to anything and are installed after the camper is completely on the truck. A bed mat was not a preferred choice because the camper is on full time and the camper floor is well drained and completely dry without the mat.

Mine slides and shifts around a little here and there on bumpy roads, I'm not too sure it is anything to be concerned about. Sounds like you have it handled either way.

SunMan, The "walking" was mostly a distraction since I could tell the camper had moved when I walked up to the camper door and so was compelled to check the turnbuckles. Now I just check the turnbuckles every 2,000 miles just to be safe. 1/4" or 3/8" movement was obvious because the bed/camper gap is only 1 3/8" on each side, one side looks a lot wider than the other after a shift. The worst part: three thirty packs of beer sit in front of one turnbuckle door under the couch with countless stuff on top of and around them.

I have found on the Tundra if I spend a few more minutes to install a 3"x5"x 3/8 plywood shim right where the tailgate would sit and the front bumpers are touching the bed all the turnbuckles are the same length with nearly no loosening I do have a rubber bed mat though

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I haven't noticed mine moving but I did put a couple pieces of 2x4 between the wheel wells and the camper. Can't hurt.

I slip one 1"x6" board about 18" long between the wheel well and the camper vertically on each side from the rear tie-down access doors after the camper is on the truck completely and then 1/4" lath on one side after the camper slides to the other side to make room for the lath. The camper sits only on the truck bed with nothing under it. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have a wider space between the wheel wells than a 1/2 ton and so may have room for a 2"x6" on each side. The shims are not attached to anything, just slipped in and have never slid out of position. The shims control side to side sliding of the camper on my smooth no-liner bed. Shims are just set in place and do not wedge the camper into the truck bed with 1/16-1/8" of free space.

Ok, I made some using true 1"X 4" glued together for 2" thickness and a piece of TPO fleece back roofing to provide some cushion, but stopped using then since they weighed a fair amount. I tried roof insulation wedges perpendicular but that didn't work. Have also tried 1-1/2" roof insulation between the rear of the camper and the edge of the bed ends. Shows promise put need to tape as they have blown out, keeps rear of camper from sliding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom