Snowy Range, Southeast Wyoming

iowahiker

We traveled to the Snowy Range in Southeast Wyoming in early July and then again in early August, 2014, as part of our trip to Colorado's Flat Tops and the high country above the Arkansas River. The Colorado/Wyoming trip report will be broken up to fit the Forum format but the Snowy Range deserves a stand alone trip report because the Snowy's are one of the most accessible highly scenic areas outside a national park.

The Snowy Range Scenic Byway, highway 130, travels east/west along the south side of the Snowy Range with many campgrounds and side routes. Traveling the Snowy Range Scenic Byway is actually a weak sample of all the accessible scenery in the Snowy's while side roads and short hikes reach many lakes and vistas. The Snowy's are very compact and only a few days are needed to explore most of the high country with day hikes reaching all the best features. The most popular hike is climbing Medicine Bow Peak and when done with the 7 mile loop around the Snowy Range creates one of our favorite hikes nationwide.

We initially explored the Snowy's in early July after the 4th of July holiday week and camped at North Fork NF campground on the east side on our way to central Colorado. North Fork CG was the highest open Snowy's campground in early July but we enjoyed our stay enough to return to North Fork CG on our return from Colorado in Early August. Our entire July/August trip was without reservations at NF campgrounds over 8,800 feet and we always settled into a site between Sunday night and Thursday mid-day without difficulty at campgrounds at least 25% non-reservable. North Fork CG is half reservable and has large, sunny, flat sites without water. Mosquitoes were common over 8,000 feet in early to mid July everywhere (Wyoming and Colorado).

Snow reduced back country hiking in early July but not in early August (Snowy Range is a good name) and so in July we decided to return at the end of our trip to complete missing hikes. Early July is a great time to visit since snow covered high country is very scenic and very accessible in the Snowy's while the crowds are missing. Compact snow shoes with cleats and/or good hiking boots will reach almost every trail other than Medicine Bow Peak for the non-adventure seeker. Early August crowds were still manageable by reaching popular trails early in the day.

Lake Marie is immediately adjacent to the Snowy Range Scenic Byway toward the west end of the high country and has two parking areas (east and west ends) snow free in early July and available parking space during busy August periods. Lake Marie:

gallery_5179_210_1045068.jpg

After parking at the east end of Lake Marie in early July, we hiked on the trail system and over snow banks to Mirror Lake and on to Lookout Lake:

gallery_5179_210_1306814.jpg

This roadside view is looking south down the Medicine Bow Mountains:

gallery_5179_210_56156.jpg

Hiking in on closed Lewis Lake access road (snow banks) allowed solitary enjoyment of a magnificent basin of lakes which is a very popular hiking area when open.

gallery_5179_210_588938.jpg

Returning in early August after the snow melted allowed climbing 1500' to Medicine Bow Peak as part of a 7 mile loop hike around the Snowy Range starting at Lake Marie, heading up the lake basin, up to Medicine Bow Peak, and back down the north or backside of the Snowy Range, one of the most scenic day hikes in the nation. A view of the lake basin:

gallery_5179_210_1366164.jpg

A view on the same loop hike looking east at the lake basin from the other end, west end. Lake Marie is in front, Mirror Lake is back right, and Lookout Lake is back left.

gallery_5179_210_544957.jpg

Another lake basin view from some of the smaller lakes.

gallery_5179_210_977676.jpg

And finally, two "fun" pictures. First a marmot visiting us at Lookout Lake during a snack break during the early July "snow" trip. Second, our rig at the Snowy's also during the early July "snow" trip.

gallery_5179_819_797969.jpg

gallery_5179_819_85171.jpg

The Snowy's are a good stop for a few nights if you are on I-80 in southeast Wyoming and a top pick for day hiking in a very scenic compact mountain range with lots of access.

Looks like some good hiking. So far my favorite is Grinnell glacier trail. Thanks for the trip report. Mitch

Thank you. We do not fish while traveling, only day hiking. My better half fishes for trout in northeast Iowa but I hike while she fishes. I have no patience and she has the patience of a "saint". Hiking is a very uncomplicated way to collect a lot of special moments (views, birds, wildlife, lakes, falls, streams, flowers...).

Grinnell Glacier, Mt Rainier: we call that "heroin", very addictive (especially for our kids tent camping all the NP's). Post-kids we try to hike everything in a place and many of the places along the way which is less stressful than trying to find "the great view".

Thanks for the trip report. Just added the Snowy Range to a growing list of places to camp and hike in our yet to be ordered pop-up camper.

Iowahiker thanks the photos. I was up there a couple of years ago and this should help inspire me to get back!

Back
Top Bottom