New Hawk on New GMC 2500

cdbrow1

Got my new Hawk on my new GMC 2500 (600 miles).

Truck is a double cab (aka extended cab) Duramax

Hawk is a "self contained" with front dinette. Silver Spur on the inside and white fiberglass on the outside. Heading out in the morning to NE California for a overnight shakedown run (I live about 30 miles north of FWC).

Attachments

• truck 1.jpg
    truck 1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 342
  • Truck 2.jpg
    Truck 2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 365
Sweet looking setup!

I know we need rain really bad here in California, but you picked a great weekend to go test the rig. Will be watching for you on the roads.

Steve

Nice set up, that truck is in contention for when I replace my access cab. Give us some feed back after you get some miles on it, mpg, handling etc.

Nice choice of truck and camper but I am biased!
A new Hawk does deserve a brand new truck....I did the same.
Nice color match on yours...I went for the gray stripe.
GM greystone metallic was a perfect match.

9oaYfrn.jpg

Nice combination. I am still looking at a 2500HD, I guess the low front bumper is for gas milage. Friend has a 2013 Z71 and said to go off road he was told to remove the front valance.

billharr said:
Nice combination. I am still looking at a 2500HD, I guess the low front bumper is for gas milage. Friend has a 2013 Z71 and said to go off road he was told to remove the front valance.
I have essentially the same set up as your friend except it's a 2013 3500 HD. I've never had any issues off road with the stock bumper. Thought about removing the valance but haven't had any clearance issues yet.

billharr said:
I recently removed my valance/air dam/snow plow.
An air wrench and 20 or 30 bolts later it was in the trash. You wouldn't want to be taking it off and on.

I figure I already have the ultimate air dam....my Hawk.
As far as gas mileage, I can't tell any difference.

JHa6av8r, do you think going to a 3500 is overkill? I ask because, besides a loaded Hawk I want to be able to carry couple kayaks on the roof and my bikes on a rear swing out rack.

Beach said:
JHa6av8r, do you think going to a 3500 is overkill? I ask because, besides a loaded Hawk I want to be able to carry couple kayaks on the roof and my bikes on a rear swing out rack.
I don't and since I was buying new got more capacity for essentially the same price. The difference in payload was 1,300 lbs, 4,200 lbs for the 3500 versus 2,900 lbs for the 2500. I easily have 2,000 lbs in the truck with camper and gear fully loaded with kayak, bikes, and toys. I think there's more chances for things to break if you're always operating at or near max gross. It handles well offroad and with the torque of the Duramax will go anywhere. So far the only thing that's turned me around is the trucks width.

JHa6av8r said:
I don't and since I was buying new got more capacity for essentially the same price. The difference in payload was 1,300 lbs, 4,200 lbs for the 3500 versus 2,900 lbs for the 2500. I easily have 2,000 lbs in the truck with camper and gear fully loaded with kayak, bikes, and toys. I think there's more chances for things to break if you're always operating at or near max gross. It handles well offroad and with the torque of the Duramax will go anywhere. So far the only thing that's turned me around is the trucks width.
I have the same setup and totally agree.
Duramax short bed 3500.
Great combo for me especially when towing with camper on.
I don't think I'll ever go back to half ton or 3/4 ton.

The first thing I did to my GMC was rip off the bumper skirt. Way more potential for causing damage to the truck with it on, just on pavement. It looks better off too (in my opinion).

cdbrow1, Sweeeeeeeeet ! That's adventuring in style.
Congrats and use it often and in good health.
That GM bumper modification is a must it's almost to low for the street, it bothered me so much that I went for the aluminess bumper. In addition to the ground clearance I gained a storage area for recovery gear. The aluminess bumper looks cool too but I really like the stock look except for that bottom piece, that has to go. The other problem with the GM bumpers is that they're as thin as paper now.
As far as 3500 vs 2500 I think that's a coin toss when it comes to a FWC set up. The 2500's are very capable, but I bought a 3500 because I drove both at the dealer before I ordered mine and they had a very similar ride. Also I have a notorious reputation for overloading my trucks.

DanT

rotti said:
Nice choice of truck and camper but I am biased!
A new Hawk does deserve a brand new truck....I did the same.
Nice color match on yours...I went for the gray stripe.
GM greystone metallic was a perfect match.

9oaYfrn.jpg
Wish I could take credit for the color choice...it was the only SLT double cab around. Does look nice though.

billharr said:
It was an easy remove on my 1500, I assume the 2500 is the same way. I don't get too extreme off-road so I will probably leave it on unless i think it is hitting alot.

DanT said:
cdbrow1, Sweeeeeeeeet ! That's adventuring in style.
Congrats and use it often and in good health.
That GM bumper modification is a must it's almost to low for the street, it bothered me so much that I went for the aluminess bumper. In addition to the ground clearance I gained a storage area for recovery gear. The aluminess bumper looks cool too but I really like the stock look except for that bottom piece, that has to go. The other problem with the GM bumpers is that they're as thin as paper now.
As far as 3500 vs 2500 I think that's a coin toss when it comes to a FWC set up. The 2500's are very capable, but I bought a 3500 because I drove both at the dealer before I ordered mine and they had a very similar ride. Also I have a notorious reputation for overloading my trucks.

DanT
I have already spoken with Aluminess - no product for the 2015 GMC/Chevy. They need a truck for prototyping, but I am about 580 miles too far north. I hope to eventually get both front and rear with box for my Honda generator.

Now your talking.
When I pick up my camper in March I'll post some pictures of my front bumper I have a 2013 Chevy 3500 SRW. As far as the rear bumper I'm hoping to build a custom bumper with a single point swing away box incorporating a 2 x 2 x 4 under bed type tool box for gen. and stuff. I like the idea of one larger box for more storage flexibility and the tool box door opens like a tailgate which creates an instant table area. Also the top of the box can be used for additional gear. My hope is to get this done for the following spring so no pics this year but I think you can get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom