12 V Slow Cooker /Crock Pot and 12 V Microwave Oven

ckent323

For those who have experience with using a 12 V Slow Cooker aka Crock Pot I am interested in your comments and recommendations (brand, reliability, power draw, etc).

We will be driving to/from Alaska between mid August and mid October 2018 and we are thinking it would be a useful addition to the camper and even the truck cab (hot lunch - stew, chili, soup, whatever). So not exclusively (or even necessarily) as a cooker but also for keeping things warm or hot.

We have house batteries as well as 200 W of solar. We will also be carrying a Honda or Yamaha 2000 W generator. since the Solar at the high latitudes will not work as well as here in the Southwest

Also, for anyone having experience with using a 12 V Microwave oven I am interested in your comments and recommendations (brand, reliability, power draw, etc).

Thanks,

Craig

Both will be a HUGE draw on your electrical system. Anything that makes resistance heat is a bad idea on 12 volts. Pick up a $20 crock pot and use the gennie.

Or try one of these. It will do most of what a crock pot will do in less than an hour. I've been real impressed with mine. It also doubles as a large pot for things like pasta.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/11563-anyone-using-the-cancooker/

Go to their site and check out the recipes!

Squatch,

I am seeing the Roadpro 12 V slow cooker listed as drawing 78 W and 6.5 amps an hour. I have a 220 Amp hour battery bank. That is not much more current draw than a number of the 12 V refrigerators.

Other units are 96 W and 8 amps/hour. Plugged into the truck while driving is no big deal. Actually cooking in it in the camper maybe not as good an idea.

Have you actually used one of the 12 V units?

Regards,

Craig

+1 on a cook pot that simmers the food for an extended time.

It always seems to me that burning fuel to generate electricity, then using the electricity to generate heat introduces much inefficiency due to all the energy transformations.

If the ultimate required energy form is heat, then cut out the middlemen and just apply the heat generated in the chemical transformation of the fuel directly to the cook pot and its content.

I assume the reason for using electricity is twofold. First is safety. Leaving a burner going in the camper for several hours without anyone present implies risk to the camper & truck. Second is control. Electrical cooking appliances can implement a cooking profile while unattended.

Using a Dutch oven nestled in prepared coals or briquettes is a long known method for long slow cooking. So would be a Can Cooker on a support over coals, briquettes, or propane burner.

A Volcano Grill might do what you want. It works with propane, charcoal, or wood. https://volcanogrills.com/

Paul

No experience but was intrigued so flipped around the web a bit.

Craig, you may find some love on the truckers forum, truckers report sites. I haven't looked on RV sites.

I hadn't heard of a 12v microwave but see roadpro carries one. I don't really care for the look of the power port (size of both ring terminal and receptacle slot) but that might be improved with hard wiring.

Agree with the idea of powering an appliance while driving, with an appropriate sized alternator, and makes perfect sense for a slow cooker. We run an inverter while driving to power 120VAC items - including in the past, a space heater and a rice cooker.

My unsolicited .02 on the microwave is that a 120V model is preferable, being usable with suitable inverter, generator or shore power..

I should have read more carefully to see that cooking while in motion was primary need. Search for "aluminum foil cooking on v8 manifold" and some alternatives may appear.

Paul

I have been searching on the web and there are several brands of 12 V slow cookers. Reliability seems to be an issue on most looking at reviews on Amazon. Truckers and boaters seem to love them though.

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSL-350-Quart-Slow-Cooker/dp/B0013IR88A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518200054&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+slow+cooker

I did stumble across a 12 V "stove" that gets good reviews. The specs show it will heat to 300 deg whereas the slow cookers only go to about 175 degrees. Seems like its best use may be to keep things warm while underway so still investigating. It has a rectangular shape vs the round shape of the slow cookers.

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-Volt-Portable-Stove-Black/dp/B00030DLEE/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4DMF93ZVMX2S5EQTQ1K1

More evaluation is needed.

By the way, and to be clear, the primary use for the 12 V slow cooker or 12 V stove will be while underway. Since the truck alternator is already putting out about 136 A I do not see any an issue tapping into that for 6 or 8 amps.

Craig

Commentators,

Thanks for your suggestions on other devices. While I have previously seen them during my searches they are interesting alternatives. None the less, I do appreciate the suggestions.

However, I really want to read first hand experiences using a 12 v slow cooker, if anyone has any experience.

I'll add that if you have first hand experience using one of the alternative non-electric devices, I would like to read about that too.

Thanks,

Craig

ckent323 said:
Commentators,
However, I really want to read first hand experiences using a 12 v slow cooker, if anyone has any experience.
Understood. Same thing happened with the Dodge tire thread bellow, guy asks about 2, then 4 specific tires and gets replies from members about their own, other tires. It happens... no foul.

Good luck with your slow cooker, for 35 bucks worth a try, imo

I don't have experience with 12V slow cookers, but I have run my 120V, 3 qt slow cooker on a couple of trips off the 150W truck inverter (110W on low). A couple of observations:
I was always worried the thing would tip over in a fast stop and make a mess.
Torture smelling my lunch for 4+ hours before eating.
I now use a small pressure cooker in a cozy.

jim

Back
Top Bottom