1913 Earl Travel Trailer

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
1913 Earl purported to be the oldest travel trailer

F0F2AD2B-92A9-4A8C-9620-0CA70DB98365.jpeg

Can't be sure from the photo, but a local tire shop has an old tire on a wooden rim. That trailer may have the same. Pretty interesting.

when I moved here 30 years ago I met and became friends with an old guy named Theodore. He and I ended up spending a lot of time together and when he was around 90 decided I should take and use his old sap wagon (a 300 gallon wooden tanker places in a wagon). It was attached to a 'doodle buggy' and was in in disrepair. The old folks then used everything they had wasting little. The wagon was made from what he told me was a 1937 REO Speedwagon pickup truck bed and put on a 1928 Buick axil ..the wheels of which were wooden spoked. Later he cut these out and welded in metal to keep it going. I replaced all the wooden planking in the bed and welded some cracks. They had welded on a from tongue for a ball hitch. I still use this wagon to bring in the cord wood after being split on the log landing towed behind the tractor.

Ah, yes. The old New England, Southern Appalachian (and points in between) expression applies:

Use it up.
Wear it out.
Make it do.
Or do without.

:)
Paul

Let's see, Earl Trailer, Doodle Buggy, and Doodlebug. I've learn quite a bit today. Time for a break, I don't want to overheat the gray matter. :)

Thanks all for the fun information.

ski3pin said:
Let's see, Earl Trailer, Doodle Buggy, and Doodlebug. I've learn quite a bit today. Time for a break, I don't want to overheat the gray matter. :)

Thanks all for the fun information

Monday is a new day, so try out "buckrake". Probably a term applied to several types of haying apparatus, but in the Big Hole of southwestern Montana, the buckrakes used for putting up hay by the beaverslide method are unique home made vehicles. Many of the surviving buckrakes are 1930s to early 1950s pickup truck chassis, all body and cab panels removed, driver's seat and all operator controls turned around, and hydraulic lift apparatus installed to control the rake. Driven in reverse gear so rear steering. They're run along windrows of cut and dried hay, scooping up a big fork full, and drive it over to the beaverslide to dump it on the slide. I've enjoyed a few videos of buckrake/beaverslide operations and it's a pretty slick system.

Wow this is fun! ... enjoyed them both... When me and the Mrs were on our long way home from AK... through the west ...especially Montana we saw those structures and was how in heavens do they work? ...Well that learned me up!... I love simple mechanics and physics... people using their smarts to ...how do I do this?... and then there she am.... I recently had a catastrophic collapse of my floor in the wood shop due to flooding... I have many tons of planers, jointers, lathe, table saws...bench.... it was a long list and thanks to the front loader hydraulics all that could be lifted out... Then I decided the wood stove needed to be relocated in the new shop floor plan and it would require a new metal-bestos chimney... My father-n-law from KY was a steel worker and had to move all sorts of insanely heavy furnace parts ...when I built my barn he had a solution for putting up 16ft long 10x 12" beams at 14 ft up....and I have used that solution in a number of other projects... we built a boom off the front loader ...chained through the frame... man that made work fun.,
Here is a shot just lifting a stack in place... his beam work was more poetry ...

Attachments

• boom 2.1.jpg
    boom 2.1.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4634.jpeg
    IMG_4634.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom