1958 Alaskan story

Rusty

I recently returned from a trip to San Gabriel to pick up a "free" camper which I am using for parts. The camper was represented as a 1968 model but as I disassembled it things weren't adding up. State of Calif Trailer/Coach tags on the camper indicate it was a 1958. The aluminum manufacture plate was from RD Halls original Sun Valley factory. This camper has the curved rear panel we have been talking about in another thread. I wanted particular parts off the camper but chose to disassemble it carefully to preserve any other parts which may be of use to everyone here. I'll post those parts up on the gear exchange as I get a little further on in the process....there are several.

On with the story....Getting to the camper proved to be the biggest hurdle...it had been parked in a back yard many years ago then structures built around it...Garage, Home remodel, side yard improvements et al....after a struggle to get my 2003 long bed crew cab through 2 fence gates in close proximity and the rear roof post for the home... in dry sandy soil typical to the area...without 4 wheel drive....lots of help from neighbors and employees of the owner got the truck positioned to back in and secured the camper ....the hydraulics weren't operational so raising and lowering was done by hand...all hands! The camper wouldn't go completely down so I chose to return home...to Santa Rosa....with the camper on the back...strapped and roped down, cockeyed and off center...looking more like the Beverly Hillbillys....but secure.

Anyway....the camper turns out to be a 1958 10' NCO....there had been a significant leak in the roof and the interior was shot...plywood delaminating everywhere...and someone in all their wisdom had applied some of that trailer goop roofing sealer (the silver stuff) in an attempt to fix it....no salvage roofing aluminum...the interior didn't have the storage spots that later campers have...no doors and the original water tank location had been modified. The water tank I salvaged was dated 1963...and it's position was different than the floor plan diagram indicated. The small electrical circuit breaker box cover had glued to the sliding lid, a paper electrical diagram...(I saved that one)

The owners father had purchased it new...around 1958 I presume....he was a musician in a circus (Douglas Brothers Circus) and the camper had been outfitted with an intercom system for talking to the rest of the circus personnel. An old intercom wire pass through had been installed in the front top wall and a single pin plug protruded for a simple plugin when he reached his destination. As I was taking it apart...a couple other little gems showed up...an aluminum flute (a "Goodfellow") like a recorder..was under one of the drawers and a blue moonstone/plastic star sapphire cuff link was found under the refrigerator....hangers were found everywhere...one can only imagine the clothing changes which took place over time in the circus....he retired from the circus so there were a good many years. He had taught music lessons while on the road to the rest of the circus personnel and had made a little extra cash teaching music to the general public which was advertised during the circus performances...

The side of the camper had bag awning rails both on the top and below the passengers side 6' quad awning window and chrome tie downs were located on either end to accommodate ropes to help hold it in place. A rear roll-up awning had been over the door and the mounting brackets for it were also in place. The vents for the refer and the sink were cut out of flat stock aluminum without any hemming or beading and were intact also.

Some of the wood parts could be salvaged and I'll be reconstructing the upper door using some of the front 3/4" panel...the door lock will go to my old NCO as will an old spice rack made for the low profile.
The hydraulic tubes will be polished and put in the newer CO along with the Ash rail on top of the lower half which will replace the plastic edging.

Its always interesting to find a little history associated with these old campers...this one conjures up images of the camper parked behind the big tent with it's colorful awnings set out and a couple folding aluminum chairs under them....a colorful example of what was...The mid 20's home where I picked up the camper had been his and his daughter lives there now...hence the locking in of the campers position. The awning rails and tie downs will go on my NCO...along with some new 50's period canvas awnings....maybe red and white stripes if I can find some...... if the other half approves....maybe the typical green and yellow stripe would suit her better...we'll see......

Attachments

• aluminum recorder.jpg
    aluminum recorder.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom