1983 keystone build in Bigsky Country

Bigskyxj

Advanced Member
Hey everyone I'm new here. I just picked up a 1983 Keystone and wanted a place to document the work to the camper as I go. So far everything works (fridge, stove, furnace, water pump) but there are a couple things that need some love. I have to narrow the floor pack to get it in my truck which I will try and document with pics as I go. I also need to fix the roof lift panels which are just sort of old and crappy. And the fuse panel and associated wiring kind of sucks so I am going to rewire it. Also I have one tail light cover that is broken and cannot find a replacement, if anyone has a spare reflect-o-lite 1400 lens please let me know. I need the red/clear lens. I'll put up a couple pics here in a little while, just need to figure out how to do that.

IMAG0522 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

I picked the camper up about 4 days ago and it had a latrine in the passenger side rear corner. I think the original intent was for use with a cassette type toilet. It seemed like a giant waste of space and I honestly don't plan on using a toilet in my cAmper so I just took it out.

Old Crow,
Thanks for the link on the light cover. After looking at I think updating to some led lights would be the way to go. My plan is to have the floor narrowed by the end of this week. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures.

I didn't realize CJ's thread was on WTW. I originally found it on Adventure rider. It was the thread that encouraged me to look for a FWC project.

Bigskyx,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing you’re new to you camper. There’s all of a sudden quite a few of you guys starting out with new projects and the start of build outs. They’re always fun to see what individuals come up with. Good luck with yours, I did my build over the past couple years working on it when I had time and the weather cooperated. If I can answer any questions, feel free to contact me.

Poky

Poky,
Thanks for the welcome. Tomorrow is day one of the floor pack teardown. I'm gonna head in to the shop a couple hours before work starts and tear down as much as I can. I figure if I can do a couple of hours per day I should have the floor pack narrowed by the end of the week.

Progress was made today, got the passengers side tore out. Tomorrow I will cut 3" off the side and start cutting new wood to go back on. Most of the wood I took off got pretty jacked up trying to pull the long staples out.

2625 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

2626 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

2627 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

Made some more progress this morning. Cut 3" out of the passengers side.

IMAG0527 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

My buddy let me borrow his oscillating saw which made the end cuts in the corners a hell of a lot easier.

IMAG0528 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

Trimmed away the wall board to expose the frame at the front of the camper. this has to move in 3" as well.

IMAG0525 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

Next i ground the welds off of the vertical frame beam and moved it in 3". On the horizontal frame rail on the bottom i cut away 3 sides so that i can fold it up to use as an attachment point for the vertical beam.

IMAG0530 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

After putting the vertical beam back in I folded the lower piece up and riveted it together. It's not the greatest way to go about this but i do not have a way to weld aluminum so it will have to do. It should provide some vertical support by atleast holding that piece in there.

IMAG0534 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

Finished up the wood work on the passengers side today. It took longer than I anticipated. Its a bit of a slow process trying to line up all the pieces by yourself but it is possible. It doesn't help that I'm not much of a carpenter. I used liquid nails and screws to secure all the wood pieces to each other.

2706 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

2705 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

All I have left to do on the passengers side is to trim the aluminum siding accordingly and re install the trim. I may paint the wood before installing the trim just to protect it.

Hopefully I can get back to it Monday morning early and get the drivers side knocked out fairly quick. I am itching to get this thing in my truck and install the eyelets in the bed of my pickup.

After that it will be on to getting the battery and wiring squared away.

Progress on the drivers side has begun. I got the old wood removed and basically have everything prepped for installation of the new narrowed bedside tomorrow morning. Pictures are worth a thousand words so here you go.

IMAG0541 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

Got the drivers side buttoned up this morning. Getting a little excited. Tomorrow I plan in painting the new wood to keep it protected and then replacing the trim.

IMAG0542 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

Well I got a lot done, things were going smooth and I managed to get all the wood stuff done. I painted all the new wood to protect it. I got my fuse panel wiring knocked out and battery isolater/charger all hooked up. More pics to come.

received_1961355240616049 by bigskyxj, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom