1984 Fleet Model- How to attach to truck, and other questions

Hello WTW,
I am now the proud owner of a gracefully aged 1984 Fleet FWC camper. It is a little rough around the edges, but is generally in really good shape. I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma with the 6' bed that has factory installed tie down points in each corner. The camper has no tie-down points currently installed and it uses the original jacks which mount onto plates (1 on the left side, 2 on the right: tripod) Here are my questions:

1) What is the best way to install hardware to connect to my trucks corner tie down points? I've thought of installing eye bolts with large washers in each wing to connect a turnbuckle, using the jack plates to strap it to the frame (not preferred), and any number of other ideas. One of the main problems with the eye bolts is the fact that the water tank sits right over one of the truck's tie down's.

2) Take out the bed liner or leave it in? I just have one of the simple plastic bed liners. I need to take it out right? What should go underneath the camper if anything?

3) Is there a way to replace the lock on the door? It didn't come with a key, but is it possible to replace the lock core or get a new key?

Thanks for any information and yes, I am totally new to the slide in camper deal, but I'm psyched!
Happy travels,
Luke

Luke, I would look at a much larger bracket, such as what FWC currently uses. I'll post a link to Craig33's thread where you can see what happens when eyebolts get too much tension on them, probably caused by a slight shift of the camper in the truck bed. Link to follow. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9645-uh-oh-its-not-just-maintenance/. I'm not sure how you can deal with the water tank issue. On the other hand, have you considered bolting through the camper floor? Give Brenda at FWC a call, she might be the best source of info, or Marty at ATC.

A rubber mat, or piece of marine grade plywood is fine, plastic might slip. A quarter inch would be sufficient. On my new truck, I'm going down to a feed and seed, and get a quarter inch rubber cattle mat. About $5/linear foot in a 4 foot width.

Check with your local locksmith on the core.

I owned one of those year campers and they were bolted though the floor. Put some wider steel plates on inside and under the truck and bolt it down and go have fun.

In the early 90s I had an 88 Toyota (6' bed) and bought a used 89 Fleet and did not know how to mount it. Went to an RV dealer and he installed a "Happy Jack" system which consisted of two plates mounted on the outside of the front bed panel (between the bed and the cab) which extended out on either side of the truck a few inches. These plates each have a hole in them. The front turnbuckles go from the eyebolts on the underside of the camper to these plates. In the back, he installed a steel "button" on either side of the rear bumper. The Happy Jack kit contains brackets that attach to these "buttons." The brackets have holes in them to accept the lower hook of the turnbuckle. The upper end of the turnbuckles attach to the eyebolts on either side of the rear of the camper. I don't know if anyone else uses a system like that these days but it worked well. We took that set up all over the west in the 10 years we owned it, and on many rough four wheel drive trails with no problems. Also, it was MUCH easier to adjust the turnbuckles than the way it is currently done.

Back
Top Bottom