1996 hawk build thread

heavy63

A bit overdue of a post. First of all big thanks to the other folks on here for all the inspiration and tips + tricks. I had been watching for a cheaper camper for some time and saw a 96 hawk in good condition near me. I jumped on it for $6k. It smelled like it was from 1996 and so my partner and I sanded down the old laminate, repainted the interior, and redid the floor. I also repainted the exterior and fixed a few small holes.

Some pics in the original state:
IMG_6626.JPG

IMG_6627.JPG
IMG_6628.JPG
IMG_6629.JPG

After sanding and then priming the inside
IMG_2606.JPG

Painted the inside sage green with the cabinets white and then redid the trim
74087663622__1D02169A-BB27-420B-988A-254AE751683F.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG

And then had to build a platform for the bed. Used some pressure treated 4x4s and then fence slats. I put it flush with the back of the bed (which ended up being a mistake). After going on a trip there was pretty intense rubbing from the camper on the bed (these old campers don't have a bumper). So I offset the platform with the 4x4 scraps and put a rubber mat down. I currently just have the whole thing attached to the factory tie downs. I'd like to do something more permanent but am also weary about drilling holes in the bed. Right now I just have the platform attached in the back with a couple carabiners (this sucks cause they rattle and make noise) but I couldn't find a burly enough turnbuckle that was short enough.
IMG_2642.JPG

Next up I want to try and install some solar (does anyone know if you can just attach a rack directly to the rivets on the roof?)

Last edited:
A few more of the interior and exterior (sorry a bit out of order)
IMG_2658 2.jpg
IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg
IMG_2628.jpg

I'll try and edit this post with some details about the paints. We redid the trim on the cabinets (reminder to insert link to the site where we got the trim)

We also sprung for a hest queen mattress (worth every penny).

Got it at the end of June and so far have used it probably 10+ nights and love it so far. We upgraded from a gofast and it's been awesome so far.

A bit overdue of a post. First of all big thanks to the other folks on here for all the inspiration and tips + tricks. I had been watching for a cheaper camper for some time and saw a 96 hawk in good condition near me. I jumped on it for $6k. It smelled like it was from 1996 and so my partner and I sanded down the old laminate, repainted the interior, and redid the floor. I also repainted the exterior and fixed a few small holes.

Some pics in the original state:
View attachment 110463
View attachment 110464View attachment 110465View attachment 110466

After sanding and then priming the inside
View attachment 110467
Painted the inside sage green with the cabinets white and then redid the trim
View attachment 110468
View attachment 110471View attachment 110472

And then had to build a platform for the bed. Used some pressure treated 4x4s and then fence slats. I put it flush with the back of the bed (which ended up being a mistake). After going on a trip there was pretty intense rubbing from the camper on the bed (these old campers don't have a bumper). So I offset the platform with the 4x4 scraps and put a rubber mat down. I currently just have the whole thing attached to the factory tie downs. I'd like to do something more permanent but am also weary about drilling holes in the bed. Right now I just have the platform attached in the back with a couple carabiners (this sucks cause they rattle and make noise) but I couldn't find a burly enough turnbuckle that was short enough.
View attachment 110469

Next up I want to try and install some solar (does anyone know if you can just attach a rack directly to the rivets on the roof?)
Rivets? Should be screws if it is still factory. An individual screw is not likely to hold much of a load. Both the sheet metal and the aluminum tubing is super thin. I would suggest getting Thule/Yakima tracks and installing those, using those same screws, along the length of the camper. I put a bed of Butyl tape under the tracks and sealed the holes with 3m4200. I also used T-tracks from Lee Valley Garden tools instead of the expensive name brand stuff and it is working well.

Back
Top Bottom