1997 Toyota T100 + 1997 Ranger II Combo Build

Wyatt

Trying to navigate uploading some pictures and sharing information on a newly acquired 1997 Ranger II and mating up with a 1997 Toyota T100 Extra Cab.

The Truck has been with me for a couple of years and undergone some DIY work as it is about to roll over 300,000.

When I found this camper it had been entirely gutted and refurbished as a shell with a solar setup. I am slowly and humbly trying to outfit it on a budget with things that I feel would help turn it back into a camper. The truck has always had a canopy and I have run with a drawer/sleeper setup for years so having this headroom and extra space has been a welcomed upgrade.

Camper is attached to truck via through bolting beefy eyelets through the truck bed and frame. These are backed up with washers and some thick rubber to the truck. I reinforced the eyelets on the FWC with sheets of stock steel and used basic aluminum turnbuckles to attached, backed with the safety nuts.

I installed some cheap waterproof wood flooring which I have later covered with removable plush carpet that I cut to fit out of an old rug.

I built a simple bench length wise on the passenger side and half length on the driver side that attaches to the camper via a simple twist of a wooden 1x3 attached to the camper.

A small kitchen counter was installed with basic drawers that I have yet to finalize. No hinges or expensive hardware was used and tried to manage a simple but effective design with just wood and screws.

An 11lb propane tank was mounted to the rear. I still need to figure a way to plumb it through the camper, for a while I ran a hose in through the turn buckle hole but that has since changed.

I put a new deep cycle marine battery in and have it hooked up to the truck alternator via some existing setup from the previous truck owner. Very cheap, lengthy wires and Toyota's already have weak alternators so I imagine this will be a problem down the road. I am not sure how to manage the existing solar setup and I am electrically impaired.

Last week I installed a chinese diesel heater on the outside of the camper in between the truck bed and the camper. It plumbs hot air in through the port hole used for the turn buckle. So far it has been amazing and a winter camping game changer but if anything on the heater unit fails I will have to remove the camper just to access it.

Made a small interior table that can be used as a bench and soon will also be used to extend the kitchen counter to the full length of the camper.

Everything can be removed without tools and relatively easily. There is 6' length of floor space if one wants to stealth camp without popping up the top.

I hope I can ad to this thread but not entirely sure I am doing this right.

Attachments

• 61609247224__EB5053F0-C0F8-41DF-96F0-33A511D7CC50.JPG
    61609247224__EB5053F0-C0F8-41DF-96F0-33A511D7CC50.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 61610051336__A1A5C4AB-C746-4FB2-9A5B-48835CB07589.JPG
    61610051336__A1A5C4AB-C746-4FB2-9A5B-48835CB07589.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 61611967974__D1C7F870-FDA2-432F-BDEB-01C8679E2CDD.JPG
    61611967974__D1C7F870-FDA2-432F-BDEB-01C8679E2CDD.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 152
  • 61611969486__E026B2E2-3356-4CA3-A861-C55E62656946.JPG
    61611969486__E026B2E2-3356-4CA3-A861-C55E62656946.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2886.JPG
    IMG_2886.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 142
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 137
  • kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 137
Here is a shot of the propane setup. That bracket cost more than the tank but holds strong, lockable and easily can remove the bottle.

The chinese diesel heater on the side of the camper. Barely slips past the wheel well on the truck bed and the diesel reservoir also just barely fits inside the truck bed without being squeezed. So far no leaks, painted the fuel reservoir but left a line to check fuel level. This has been a great way to pump dry heat into the camper to help reduce moisture in the PNW climate.

I have a rear high swing attachment and a cheapo Harbor freight ATV basket which creates a little higher clearance than their normal hitch basket. I have attached a piece of sealed plywood to the top of the basket to create a swing out table on the rear of the camper for cooking outside. I find that unless I install a plumbed, drop in burner that cooking inside the camper is too tight of space and just more of a hassle than its worth. Unless its pouring rain.

Still have yet to find a good way to mount the trasharoo without blocking the door catch, the rear window, or flopping around like a sac of potatoes. It was a cheap craigslist score and I like the concept of exterior trash but unless you have a spare tire they really don't offer many modular mounting options.

Attachments

• dieselheater.JPG
    dieselheater.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 163
  • propane.jpg
    propane.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 176
  • road1.jpg
    road1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 177
  • P1120153.jpg
    P1120153.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 131
I should mention I purchased this camper from member Skeeter who did the extensive project of removing the tail lights that the Ranger II model had. Without that mod it would not fit so snugly in the T100 extracab bed size.

It's a Powertank Mount (https://powertank.com/products/bkt-2286). Definitely pricey but I figure it's an investment into the camper if it's going to be permanently mounted to it. This one locks for being parked in the city but the bottle is easily removed when unlocked.

Keeping it outside seemed like a storage space benefit, avoid potential leaks inside the camper, and avoid having a giant ice cold brick inside when you're trying to stay warm for the cold months. I have seen some mentions of people using cheaper fire extinguisher mounting brackets.

Thanks! I cringed at the price but it looks like it is worth it. A properly vented propane tank compartment eats a lot of space up inside of a camper. I am on the fence about taking my propane compartment out and going this route or selling the camper and building a new camper all together.

I'm glad I found this post. I have a 1997 Ranger as well (not sure if Ranger II - is there a Ranger 1?) but mines on a 2012 Tacoma.

Starting my gut / build. Going to remove the side dinette and increase the seating area and functional cabinets (basically the idea in my head is exactly like what you did!!), removing propane tank area, and gotta look for a creative area to mount my diesel heater. My initial idea was under one of the bench seats because I have my rear lights still, so I am now thinking of removing the lights :oops:. Your install looks really clean!

Glad I found this, I may have to pick your brain if you don't mind!

When you removed your propane compartment, did you simply cover that side wall (drivers side interior) with some plywood? I see the door hatch is still there on the exterior.

Cheers

joneskai said:
I have a 1997 Ranger as well (not sure if Ranger II - is there a Ranger 1?) but mines on a 2012 Tacoma.
I believe there was a Ranger model and a Ranger II. The Ranger was for a long (8') bed and the Ranger II was for a 6' bed. The Ranger II turned into the Eagle model.

ski3pin's right - my 1993 "Ranger" is a long bed model and looks a lot like a narrower version of a Grantby of that era. I have leave my tailgate down on my 6.5' bed T100. If I had a regular cab T100 or 1st gen Tundra, this camper would be perfect!

Another difference the Ranger models had compared to the earlier Hawks and Grandbys was a longer cabover, I believe around 36" or so. I'm trying to remember our old Ranger II. A bit later the Hawks and Grandbys were offered in an "extended cabover" of the current 48". The 48" cabover is now standard.

Back
Top Bottom