1st Gen Tundra wheel bearings

hebegebe

My '03 Tundra has put a wrinkle in a scheduled fall trip as the wheel bearing in the rear end sounds like there is a airplane propeller following me. At 107,000 mi and a pampered life it's timing couldn't be worse. Any Tundra owners here had this problem? Taking truck to dealer for airbag recall this week and will have them confirm if this is the issue but have read online it's a $1500 fix, ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I have an 05 access cab tundra with 160,000 miles.

Thought my front bearing was going out last year, but found it was the CV joint, so I replaced both 1/2 shaft front axles.

I've had the tundra "clunk" in the rear end since we've owned it. Still cant figure that one out. But all my bearings have been holding up. Might need some differentil work done eventually, but I'm going to baby it as long as I can.

:)

Not saying it isn't a wheel bearing but be sure to have the pinion bearing in the diff. and the ujoints ck'd before spending $1500.

Grab the pinion yoke and try to wiggle it. If it moves any at all the crush spacer has relaxed and the pinion bearing pre-load needs to be reset. It is not uncommon for these to crush further under use, it is why Marlin offers a solid spacer with shims instead (how Toyota used to do this).

Assuming that Toyota hasn't changed their basic design from my older trucks it is a fair amount of labor time to R&R the rear wheel bearings. BTW, if they are only going to do one, don't do it! Have both replaced. If one is bad, the other probably isn't far behind it.

Back from dealer who quoted $2,165 to replace both rear wheel bearings not including rear brakes or differential service. I told him it's a hard world and he would have a hard time convincing me to pay more than 2x the value just to use genuine Toyota parts. He knocked $500 bucks off but I am researching local wrenches that might live in reality!

I'd say jump on IH8Mud and see if you can find or get a local recommendation. If you find yourself in the Ventura area then Ventura 4x4 is highly recommended.

Thumbs up to Ventura 4x4 Rubin is cool. I used a local Matson auto to r&r both wheel bearings and change to synthetic limited slip oil he used Japan bearings & seals plus finished in one day. Charged me$700 I am a happy camper guess I'll cancel my appt at dealer.

Back
Top Bottom