2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD V6 Advice

anonymous

Advanced Member
I did alot of searching on this before posting, and never got the specific answers I was after, so I apologize if this has been covered and I couldn't find the post. I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD V6 and am interested in putting a FWC Eagle or ATC (not sure the model - BOBCAT?) camper on it.

It sounds like these would be the best modifications:

1. New Deaver leaf spring pack (10 leaf?),
2. 10 ply tires (need new wheels?)
3. New shocks and struts (5100s?) I had new billstein HDs installed last year but they already feel blown

Here are my questions -

1. Will my truck handle the camper OK with those 3 mods or would I need further mods (brake changes, etc.)
2. Will it be drive-able without the camper loaded? It is my daily driver
3. What are realistic estimates on how much each of these mods will cost?

I would consider shell models to save weight - I don't really need a sink or stove, but a furnace would be nice. I generally DO have alot of crap when I go on a trip - coolers, will be towing a light raft, somtimes even an old honda xl175 on the tongue of the trailer (which actually weighs like 250+lbs!), but I would be willing to make some changes. I just don't even know if this setup would work, or I should wait look at getting a bigger truck down the road. Any help will be appreciated.

It sounds like you will need a bigger truck, especially if you load a dirt bike on the tongue of a trailer while you have the camper on. The camper is pushing the ability of the Tacoma if you travel heavy (which it sounds like you do). Putting a dirt bike on the tongue multiplies the weight through the hitch so the truck has more load than just the weight of the bike. I'm a Tacoma owner and a big fan of them, but I wouldn't leave the camper on when I am towing anything but a VERY light trailer with a hitch weight that is very small. Just my $.02.

I agree with what Argonaut said. Towing anything is really pushing it. I chose airbags over a custom spring pack because of the drivability with the camper off. With it on, it certainly doesn't drive like it would with deavers, but was a good compromise for me. If you discover the bags aren't suited to your needs then you can always go add some springs next. I also really like that I can level the camper with a little bike pump no matter where I might find myself parked.

Also, don't forget to raise up your load sensing valve a bit, about 2 inches or so should be good. Ten ply tires I think are a given, but there shouldn't be any reason you would need new wheels.

I did opt to upgrade my front brakes to 231mm Tundra calipers and rotors, which made a huge difference in stopping distances as well as overall control under braking conditions. It was pretty much a bolt-up affair and it was time for a brake job anyways.

I had a 2012 Eagle shell mounted on a '99 Tacoma XCab 4 cyl 4WD for about 6 months before I bought a 2013 Tacoma. ('99-2004 Gen 1 Tacoma)

A local spring shop replaced my stock springs ('99 Tacoma) with a 5 leaf custom pack to hold 1500 pounds - cost $625. I had "E"Rated mud and snow tires.

My Eagle shell dry with mods weighs 1000 pounds. Base weight of '99 without tailgate and half tank fuel - no driver - 3,500 pounds. My combined weight was 4500 pounds. (too much for the 4 cylinder as I have the shell mounted full time) Your GVWR is 5200 pounds and you have a V6 . You should be fine with just new springs.

Downside though is driving it without the camper. If you gp the spring route you may have to add 100 or more pounds to imrove the empty ride. Sand bags are big...Might try free weights instead.

I never had braking issues so I would try it without special brakes before you spend more money.

Back
Top Bottom