2005-2011 Tacoma Leaf Spring Recall

Toyota has not released the info yet. Working for a dealer, I have a lot of customer concerns about recall. We will just have to wait and see what the fix is. Although I have seen a few springs that have cracked.

I had my springs replaced last summer [2014] on my 2011 Tacoma.There has been a TSB on rear leafsprings for more than a few years on 2nd gen Tacomas.I told the dealer service writer that my truck was bottoming out when loaded with camping gear.It had only 16,000 miles and I was getting ready to swap the FWC Eagle off my 97 T100.I also added Hellwig AAL's and Firestone air bags.I am very happy with this setup but I still think the T-100 is [was]the best truck Toyota evey made.

My Taco-driving buddy lives in Seattle and his 2006 had the "bad" rear springs and I recall they were subject to that TSB. He had a good and longstanding business relationship with his dealership, right down to them performing all scheduled maintenance. The outcome for him was, I believe, no charge for the replacement rear springs and all related mounting pieces and parts, and something like $600 labor charge which he paid.

He's now semi-retired and keeps enough gear (plus the topper's weight) in his Taco to max out the GVWR, so he's very happy with his upgraded rear springs and his E-rated Michelin rubber.

Foy

The cost for spring replacement under the TSB should be zero, including labor!

There are actually 2 different situations on the rear springs which shouldn't be confused. The first is a TSB issued years ago for "harsh ride." Under the TSB, Toyota replaced the rear springs, adding an overload leaf, if requested by the customer. The more recent event is a recall (October 2014) due to the possibility of a spring leaf breaking and punching a hole in the gas tank or hitting the brake lines. As mentioned above, we are still waiting for more information from Toyota on this recall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom