2014 Tacoma Prerunner backup camera question

Fred Stevens

Hi all. I was unable to attend the rally at Sugarloaf, which would have been an opportunity to ask a question about backup cameras.

With a Fleet unit in the near future, I'm planning on leaving the OEM camera on the tailgate in storage, so here's the question. A replacement factory camera is prohibitively expensive. OTOH, there are numerous inexpensive 12 volt powered backup cameras available on Ebay but from what I can tell, most work with an auxilliary monitor mounted on top of the dash, which I would prefer to avoid,while others claim to work on earlier Tacomas with the rear view mirror displays, but that's not what I have. What I'd like to know is, has anyone had success getting one of these 12 volt cameras to work on a 2014 Tacoma with a in-dash Entunes display screen? Rostra electronics will be releasing a kit for this vehicle in the week or so, and if no other options are available, I may go in that direction.

Thanks for suggestions
Fred

Might be off the mark with this reply but have you checked to see if your deck has AV plugs at the back for the backup camera? If it does you should be able to buy a $30 backup camera off ebay.

I installed one of the license plate cameras on my Tacoma and it works just as good as the camera in the tailgate

Maptos said:
I installed one of the license plate cameras on my Tacoma and it works just as good as the camera in the tailgate
Are you using the rear view mirror display? Did you hook into the factory wiring? I had understood that you can't wire the aftermarket cameras into the factory harness because the OEM camera uses 6v rather than 12v. It would be great if that is not the case.

Back
Top Bottom