2016 Hawk Side Dinette Air Conditioner

Bombsight

I just searched the FWC website (standard features and available options) and I can't find any info. on Air Condition availability.

Please don't tell me they discontinued THAT?!

Anyone know the facts on that option? :unsure:

If I can't get an AC on a Hawk come June, I'll have to leave this awesome family and look fora different camper. :unsure:

Call FWC and then let us know...I saw a photo of one on a Hawk, side-dinette, and I believe the owner was in Texas....

You can do like several people, purchase a separate A/C unit. I have a small unit that I take when I need it. You can view it on one of our first trip blogs , I believe it was McCormick's Creek. Just click on my blog. It does take up some space in the aisle, but we are used to it. The duct vents out through the turnbuckle opening, and we also run the condensate hose out through the turnbuckle opening. Living in Indiana, the summers are in the 90's with humidity. We don't do much camping from mid-June to late August. Great to have A/C but not any fun out in that mess. I'm sure Texas isn't much better. FWC used to have the A/C as an option, but for side dinette and maybe the sofa. We have a front dinette Grandby so with the cabinets, A/C wasn't an option. save yourself the wear and tear, call FWC on Monday. jd

I have the 2015 Hawk delivered in October. I have the AC unit... replaces the window. Very professionally installed. Better than I would have been able to "MacGuyverize". Have not used but I bet I will this summer here in TX and elsewhere. Would, of course, need a quiet generator if not in campsite with elec. If you want I can get better pics and email higher res ones?

Attachments

• campersmall.jpg
    campersmall.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,696
I have lots of photos of FWC's with AC's on them.

I was concerned of the option still being there since it seems as of lately, we have seen a lot of "discontinuations". :(

There are a number of options that aren't listed on the option list.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Bombsight,

Really? A lot of "discontinuations"? I missed them I guess. I know about the Eagle going away but did not hear of other items being recently discontinued...good news is that you evidently can have an A/C installed.

For me, with the Flatbed Hawk, A/C was not an option unfortunately. I plan on building a plywood box around small 5k BTU unit and ducting the air and return vents in through boat bulkhead fittings, keeping the "box" and generator outside. Not that it's always necessary to have A/C, but it'd be nice on those late summer camping trips and allow us to extend the camping season a little further outside of the normal spring/fall high points. If the wall mount was an option, I would have paid for it.

Don

-

Wallowa said:
Bombsight,

Really? A lot of "discontinuations"? I missed them I guess. I know about the Eagle going away but did not hear of other items being recently discontinued...good news is that you evidently can have an A/C installed.
Yes ... Really.

I guess you did miss them.

What tells you I can still have AC installed? Seems to me, FWC "Discontinues" everything that isn't selling in #'s.
I don't think they install many AC's so ....

Stan@FourWheel said:
This last year we only sold 4 of the "Hard Top" / Hard Sided Cabover Models.

We only sold 2 of the big 9' foot Keystone Models.

We only sold a handful of the Kestrel Models.

And we only sold 1 of the custom build campers for a "step-side" truck.

So for the moment, we have decided to immediately stop offering the following models . . .

Models No Longer Available:

"Discontinued" -- Hard Top / Hard Sided Cabover Models

(these will be replaced by the Six-Pac campers next year)

"Discontinued" -- 9' Keystone Models

(the Grandby Model will be what customers will replace the Keystone Model with)

"Discontinued" -- Custom Shell Models for the weird "Step-Side Trucks"

(there really is not a market for these anyway)

"Discontinued" -- Kestrel Model (this was a custom version of the Hawk, unpublished for older Access Cab Toyota Tundra trucks)

Stan Kennedy

Four Wheel Pop-up Campers

I plan on calling FWC tomorrow.

Bombsight,

Those discontinued units go back 3-6 years. No different than automakers dropping models. If they aren't selling why continue trying. Six Pack was the hard side division that was shut down when Tom took over. There has been talk about bringing it back. I suggested you call on Monday and not get worked up. "Don't sweat the small stuff". :)

Sorry. Don't mean to be negative ... just really want a Hawk with AC.
It would crush me if that fell apart because I have been planning and dreaming for a long time now.

I just thought somebody might confirm here quickly.

Ok ...

Talked to Mike at FWC just now.

He did say the AC was available in the "Side Dinette" and "Roll over couch" ... Hawk and Grandby models. :)

He also said that they are working on designing the "Front dinette" model with AC ... no word yet on when it will be available.

Currently, the cost of AC is $700.

Build time on all models is 13-14 weeks.

Yipppeee...there you go and glad you can fulfill your dream Bombsight...wonder what the power draw is on the A/C unit? Makes sense in SW and especially what I remember in Texas!

Phil

I didn't think that FWC would eliminate the A/C. Obviously the built in one is there all of the time and as long as you have power your good to go. My only option was a portable. We paid $325+/- for a 7000k. Glad that worked out. jd

My 2 cents is to really think about A/C before you go down that road. The unit is heavy and it has a lot of "lever action" on that back wall. If you spend a lot of time on washboard roads eventually something will leak or break. Since I went with the Self Contained option A/C was not available to me, but I went the portable unit route as seen in the photos above. Works great and I save the weight when I don't need it.

Also before you order make sure you walk though ALL the options with FWC - not just the ones they tell you about. They have a number of off-book options. At 6'-6" the one I wish I had gone with was the 7' roof. That would have saved me a lot of bumps on the forehead. They hate custom work, but they still do have some extras they can do.

Thanks for the tips cdbrow1.

I can't stand the thought of a big box taking up valuable space inside being as it is space is so limited.

Would FWC really fab an AC on the back wall and it be damaged by roads that a FWC is designed to travel?

I would love to see how they could figure out an A/C with the front dinette. I'm not sure how that would work unless they added the unit in the back on the drivers side. It would not fit on the other side unless you removed cabinets.

I can't see where it is any worse than folks hanging 5 gal of gas or water or anything else back there.

cwd

I can't believe that FWC would install anything that would not be secure. I've never seen a post here or with other pop-up manufacturer's having problems other than an A/C unit that finally gave out. Bombsight I didn't have a choice on what we did. We spend very little time in the camper, so the unit really isn't in the way. The dog can get by and having it far out ways the small loss of space. Also, we can leave it at home when the weather is cooler. Jd

Back
Top Bottom