2023 F-250/Grandby first load

WjColdWater

Ordered in December received in June. Said good by to my 2020 F-150 HDP which was a fantastic truck. Just needed more truck for wintering trips to AZ with a travel trailer. Before loading I did have extension plates fabricated for more bed clearance. I made patterns and the fabricator did a great job on them using 1/4” aluminum plate. The F-250 bed and wheel flares are wider than my previous F-150. Also the new side bed steps are a clearance problem requiring extension plates.
IMG-7545.jpg

IMG-7546.jpg

IMG-7553.jpg

Cabover clearance with a 3/8” rubber bed mat gives enough clearance to safely load. Just be careful to load equally on the jacks and raise equally on a removals.
IMG-7556.jpg

IMG-7557.jpg

Just finished a road trip to the UP Michigan with the new setup and love this F-250. It rides beautifully with the load on and handling is outstanding. 7.3/10 speed handled the hills with ease along with 20” E tires. The new navigation screen is user friendly and the maps are much better than my 2020 truck. The seats are very comfortable and the whole interior is laid out well. I ordered most of the bells and whistles knowing this will probably be my last truck. The only negative so far is the cabover blocks the Sirius radio signal but the navigation works fine. The first trip was a father son annual trip and we had a great time. Lake Superior is a must see and the Porcupine Mountains were fabulous.
IMG-7559.jpg

IMG-7579.jpg

Happy camping Wayne

ski3pin said:
Looks pretty darn nice, congrats on the new truck!
Thanks ski! I forgot to add the setup will fit in a 8’ tall door opening with 1” to spare. I knew it would be close plan B was to deflate the tires for more clearance. Really happy that won’t be necessary.

WjColdWater said:
Thanks ski! I forgot to add the setup will fit in a 8’ tall door opening with 1” to spare. I knew it would be close plan B was to deflate the tires for more clearance. Really happy that won’t be necessary.
It is sooooooooooo nice to park the truck and camper in the garage. :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Looks good Wayne. That sure is close clearance over the cab.
Happy camping.
Frank
Yes about 2.5” on the cabover and 1.25 over the antennas. Maybe if I lived out west with off road camping I would add a 3/4” stall mat. Even though I doubt it would be a problem with frame flex. The new 250’s frame is very stout and flex would be at a minimum.

Nice rig. Glad to see another Supercab instead of more Supercrew cabs. If you have 2.5” clearance down the centerline of the cab (fore-aft) you should be fine. My Superduty twists such that the clearance down centerline doesn’t diminish too much. It does diminish toward the left and right sides but they start with more clearance than the center anyway.

WjColdWater said:
Yes about 2.5” on the cabover and 1.25 over the antennas. Maybe if I lived out west with off road camping I would add a 3/4” stall mat. Even though I doubt it would be a problem with frame flex. The new 250’s frame is very stout and flex would be at a minimum.
These Superduty trucks have tall cabs for sure. If you're looking for something used, be sure to check the measurements. Don't be like me. I had a bad experience loading an old Palomino B-1500 before I knew better. My new Grandby should be ready in November. It is being built to fit my F-250. Thanks for posting the info on your rig. I bet that 7.3 really flattens the hills.

Great looking rig. I was also pretty annoyed with the satellite antenna location on my F250 when I had my FWC. I don’t know why they didn’t put it at the front part of the cab. I’ve since switched to a Hallark camper, and it doesn’t interfere with the satellite signal at all.

There have been a few posts on this page (or somewhere within WTW) that describe how to install a new satellite antenna on Superduty that is hard wired into the stock stereo, and is not interfered by a metal camper.

Happy trails

Wayne, great looking truck! After a wait similar to yours, my new Super Duty arrived two weeks ago. I’m adding TorkLift tie downs, so the Cougar will be fastened externally with Fast Guns. I suspect my front bed steps are going to be removed.

Thanks all for the nice comments! Been fishing a bunch so I haven’t been on the site. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom