2nd spare tire and tire repair kit

dagankoffler

Hey all, I have read through some of the great ideas for jerry can holders and spare tire holder. I wanted to ask everyone and specifically Baja guys if you carry a second full size spare tire with you. Also wanted to see what kind of tire repair kits people carry with them for backcountry travel. I know there are a number of patch kits and would like to hear some personal stories. Thanks and hope you all had a nice holiday

Never carried a second spare but I do have a really nice plug kit. So far I haven't had to use it.

I used to carry 2 spares, and on more than a few occasions needed both. On one Baja trip I got 5 flats on one off road jaunt:eek:..Thankfully my traveling partner had a plug kit in his truck, if not:confused::confused:...

He had no flats on the same run with his BFG's...I have now been through 5 or 6 sets of BFG's with only one flat(a nail around a construction site)..I ran around for years with two extra BFG's, now carry only 1, underneath.

No special brand on the plug kit..Still use the plug tool my buddy gave me on the 5 flat trip....15 years later.
TT

Run load range C tires. Some people run load range E tires. Stronger tires reduce the number of flats. On top of that, carry two spares, a patch kit, a compressor and tire tools. I know ... this is overkill. However, I am old and have walked too many times by going less well prepared.

Like TT I have never had a flat running BFG AT's.

Actually Tommy I remember you stopping me on Harbor Blvd years back and asking me about the BFG's.

For all the years of back road stuff in Baja, Saline and the rest of the southwest thats a pretty good record. I could probably get better fuel milage with another tire but these things last at least 50K so I cant complain. I just use one spare and a plug kit.

CI,
Both of us better knock on wood.....

It was your WARN hubs that I stopped to talk about that day..But remember getting on the BFG topic. T-100's, Baja, Beer, sailing, and beer, (and of course wonderful Oxnard) were discussed as well. Oh and drinking beer:cool:

Then destiny took over:D

Back
Top Bottom