3-way fridge issues

PeterV

Advanced Member
My Norcold 3-way fridge stopped working last weekend, I'm really bummed. Neither electric mode (with the truck running/driving for 5+ hours), nor propane (lights up great, gives strong blue flame, for 2 days, not cold at all inside! and yes, I was parked perfectly flat..)

From reading previous threads, this pretty much means the refrigerant has leaked/the cooling unit is toast? Is it possible to replace/service the cooling unit, or do I just need a new fridge?

This sucks because the previous owner replaced the fridge under warranty a couple of years ago... these things clearly don't last? Anyone know how long the warranty is good for? (I don't have the paperwork of the replacement, etc. yet but will try to find out)

As a last resort... is there a compressor fridge I can just drop in easily instead? I found this thread, which implies it is the Nova Cool R2600, I've also seen references to Nova Cool RC-65...?
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/4747-replacing-3-way-fridge-with-compressor-fridge/

Does anyone know what type/manufacturer the Nova Cool use for their compressor, is it pretty durable for offroad use etc?
I have a really nice Waeco / Dometic fridge as well in another vehicle but it's unfortunately top-loading, so it wouldn't work well in the current configuration :(

Just the other night I saw a "conversion kit" that made a 12v ice box into a compressor fridge. Don't know why it wouldn't work on any insulated box. I will look later, or google ice box conversion kit.

CWD

Did you smell ammonia in the camper? That is the clue that there is a refrigerant leak.

I believe the Norcold warranty is 3 years but you have to have had it serviced by a Norcold tech at 1 year.

My 3cf Norcold dumped its ammonia a couple of months ago and I replaced it with a Truck Fridge TF130 12v compressor fridge. It was a press fit in the Norcold opening

I had a motorhome with a three way that stopped working. I was told by a repair place to unhook the fridge and turn upside down and leave it over night. Then reinstall and try to run on propane. I thought this was stupid, but it got me 2 more years till I sold it and bought a FWC Grandby with an Engel MT-35. Hope this helps you.

Paulie

Our 3 way fridge has been inconsistent in performance. The other day my wife pointed out to me that the door was slightly racked, the seal couldn't seal along the top by about 1/16" Because of the plastic trim on the control panel you had to look at it straight on from the side to have a hope of seeing the gap. I'm going to install a De-Sta-Co clamp or two to latch the door shut.

Camelracer and 1tonpaulie gave you two clues to knowing if this is permanent or not. As camelracer asked, did you smell ammonia? The cooling system in the three way fridges use ammonia. When the system fails, you will know it. That smell is over powering. If you haven't experienced this, then what 1tonpaulie suggested is your answer. The ammonia occasionally gets a trapped bubble. Removing and turning the fridge upside down for a period somehow gets rid of it. Hopefully that is all you have to do to get it working again.

I did not smell ammonia, but the truck was parked for ~14 days, and when I started the fridge on propane, it wasn't working after sitting (before that, I used it successfully). If there was a leak, it happened during that time.

Any tips for removing the fridge - how easy is it to do so? It's not obvious where all of the mounts are.

I'll play around but to be honest, this fridge is extremely fiddly, and I'm seriously considering upgrading it to a compressor fridge, which will "just work" as long as there is battery... (but I have two batteries and solar)

If it is an air bubble in the fridge tubing then it is worth a try to tap the cooling tubes with a rubber hammer just in case that is all that is needed, rather than uninstalling and turning the fridge upside down.

I had the cooling unit in my 5th replaced after 9 or 10 years and the replacement unit cools better than the original and is now about 12 years old.

I drove up a rough and rocky logging road last weekend in 4-low, so I doubt air bubbles would have stayed in 1 spot... :) Sadly that didn't help. Will try the tapping method, as well, and potentially the upside down... thanks for all of the ideas, everyone - appreciate it.

My opinions on 3way fridges are pretty well known on this forum and every time I see one of these threads it proves the point. Aside from the obvious mechanical problems it seems these things work great if you don't need a fridge. As long as your not camping in the summer in the southwest and at altitued they're great. But 40 degrees (at best) below ambient in 100 degree temps isn't much of a fridge. You would be far better off with a coleman extreme and block ice. Compressor fridges just plain work. I know others have had success with amonia gas refers but it seems there are more complaints than compliments. Perhaps as an Engel dealer I shouldn't add my 2 cents but there it is.

I appreciate your 2 cents nevertheless. I would much prefer a compressor fridge, the one in my Subaru has worked much better for the past 2 years - turn it on, and it keeps a consistent temperature like the fridge at home. The propane was a pain from day 1 - in the fall/winter it would freeze the food at the lowest setting, I felt like I have to constantly baby it (and switch back and from from propane to DC while driving, etc).

Does anyone have a list of compressor fridge model #'s/names that are direct replacement for the Norcold 3-way that is mounted in an Eagle? I couldn't find anything concrete. I will start looking for sales/deals... but I don't know exactly what to look for. :(

On the 4wheelcamper site, which one is this in the picture? Is that the Waeco CR-1050?
http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DOMETIC-2-WAY-COMPRESSOR-REFRIGERATOR-65-LITER.jpg
but I wonder if the cubby/opening size is the same as what I have now.. anyone know for sure?
What about the Nova-cool ones? Do they have Danfoss compressors too?

"Does anyone have a list of compressor fridge model #'s/names that are direct replacement for the Norcold 3-way that is mounted in an Eagle? I couldn't find anything concrete. I will start looking for sales/deals... but I don't know exactly what to look for."

Measure your opening and then check here;
https://www.engel-usa.com/products/fridge-freezers/front-opening
Then look at the installation guide here;
http://www.engel-usa.com/images/stories/pdfs/Front_Open_Models_Service_Manual.pdf

If you decide you want one let me know and I'll give you a WTW members price.

I just wanted to make a comment from experience about the engel refrigerator mentioned. It appears to be identical to a Norcold De-0751BB AC/DC fridge that I bought a couple of years ago to put in my pop up camper. The fridge works fine and I like the layout of the compartments. Can get an amazing about of 'stuff' in it. But the fridge is noisy and vibrates. I've tried various things to quiet it down but no luck. Querying the web, comes up with other folks having the same problem. Some turn it off at nite others like myself wear earplugs when it gets to humming. It has what I believe is called a 'swing' type compressor which appears to be like a solenoid that goes up and down when energized. And it just plain vibrates. It needs some better isolation for the compressor mounts.

Irrespective of all that I noticed the other day that Norcold has a new version out that replaces the DE-0751bb called NR751. It's the same size etc. but has a danfoss compressor which is more of a traditional compresser. Some friends of mine that have a fridge with the danfoss compressor are really quiet. don't even know they're running. That's not the case with DE-0751bb fridge. I've been thinking about getting the new version.

Does anyone have a list of compressor fridge model #'s/names that are direct replacement for the Norcold 3-way that is mounted in an Eagle? I couldn't find anything concrete. I will start looking for sales/deals... but I don't know exactly what to look for. :(

I replaced my Norcold 3-way with this:

WAECO CR-1110E/F-S COOLMATIC STAINLESS STEEL FRONT 3.8 CUBIC FEET

It is a perfect fit.

I used to have a complete thread covering the installation but since the new website has been up I haven't been able to find any of the older posts.

installed3 - DSC_13820031.JPG

front - DSC_13850034.JPG

Here's a shot of the interior comparison.

interior comparison - DSC_13610008.JPG

Old topic, I know. However, I'm thinking of swapping out the 3-way fridge in our 2008 Eagle before I even put it on the truck. I remember all of the trouble we had with the 3-way in our old Westy prior to replacing it with a TruckFridge65. That thing was GREAT. Only 1 or 3 things on the new to us camper that I would change: Fridge, roof rack, and add Arctic Pack. I think 2 of those are very do-able. Any body out there replaced the smaller 3-way in an Eagle with a 2-way? Easy to do? I did watch the FWC video, and the smaller of the compressor type units looks just like our old TruckFridge. I kinda want it!

I'm assuming all the campers use the same size opening for the fridge, assuming thats true installing a compressor type is an easy job. Mine fit with only very minor modifications.

Yes, I think they are the same size. Here is the best picture I have of the interior for now. It's on the way to FWC Jackson for a good checking over then install. Thinking about buying another fridge for it now.

Back
Top Bottom