395 camping spots

craig333

Riley's Human
I'm unsure whats open this time of year. I considered Benton Hot Springs but I'm too late there. I'll be headed down to PVD near Trona. I hate to do it in one shot.

Craig, how about simply boondocking in the area around south or east side of Mono Lake, Mono Mills, Mono Craters?

I know Inyo is still saying no dispersed camping and while I'm sure one night isn't too risky I'd prefer to follow the rules if I can.

Never heard of that one.

Cedar Flat Group Camps

Area Status: Closed
closeStatus.gif

craig333 said:
I know Inyo is still saying no dispersed camping and while I'm sure one night isn't too risky I'd prefer to follow the rules if I can.
Have you called the district office recently. The weather change has surely blunted the fire danger.

I have a trip planned soon too. I was planning a stop in the Inyo if the snow allows. Otherwise I'll head to 95 in NV.

EDIT:

I just got off the phone with the district office. Dispersed camping in the Inyo is open. You need to stay out of Recreation Zones and National Resource Areas and fires are not allowed. Otherwise, G2G.

I second the Jeffrey Pines Forest South of Mono. The gate on 120 is probably closed. You can see on Caltopo what is public and what isn't

Have fun.

120 was open as of today. The BLM campground above Crowley Lake is open year round and out of 45 or so sites only four were in use. My external thermometer didn't function but the dogs water dish was frozen solid. Heater got a workout. Down in the Panamint Valley it only got down to 50. Good thing since I ran out of propane.

craig333 said:
120 was open as of today. The BLM campground above Crowley Lake is open year round and out of 45 or so sites only four were in use. My external thermometer didn't function but the dogs water dish was frozen solid. Heater got a workout. Down in the Panamint Valley it only got down to 50. Good thing since I ran out of propane.
I can attest, that's no fun. I ran out on the way back from the Steens last weekend...2:30 AM...15 degrees. I had a second cylinder, but changing in the middle of the night...no bueno! :LOL:

How's it looking in that area of the Inyo? We're likely going to set up shop for a quick overnight next weekend on our way to somewhere in the Panamint Valley.

Back
Top Bottom