4WC + Dirtbike suggestions

Stromtrooper

What is the best way to bring along a 200lb dirtbike with the 4WC in the bed? Any luck with hitch-mounted racks? Do I need a trailer? I have Firestone HD Air Helper springs, so I'm not worried about that part.

I bought this hitch-mounted basket + moto carrier that assembled weighed over 100lbs. I put a very light (<200lb) moto on the rack and drove around the block. I'm pretty sure I could see the bed flexing down when going over bumps, so I abandoned the project and sold this new rack. Too heavy!

Pictured is our lightweight cargo rack that works great for lighter stuff, and as a doorstep.

Thanks 4 your suggestions for carrying a Yamaha DT 50 that weighs about 175lbs appreciated. 'Too fun of a toy to leave at home!

Attachments

• IMG_9322.jpg
    IMG_9322.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_9098.jpg
    IMG_9098.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 220
Howdy

Remember....your bed always flexes !

It is pretty common when folks first install a canopy or camper for the driver to notice in the mirrors the flex movement between cab and bed.

I am not saying you can safely add that weight to the back....that all depends on the roads

(and off roads) you travel.

There have been front mounted designs to carry gear or toys....you might look into some of them...still have limits on springs, suspension and tires.

It largely is a matter of how severe your use will be with the extra weight.

DavidGraves

I guess it all depends on your assumption of risk...a Tacoma is not a heavy duty truck...eventually any truck will become seriously overloaded...yes, even mine :D...my "dirt bike" [R12GSA] weighs 600 lbs loaded...and even if I had your bike I would vote for a trailer...even your "light load" of wood gives me pause...but that is just my opinion and take...

What really happens to an "overloaded" truck with a FWC in the bed? Axle/bearing failure? Probably not. Excessive wear on motor and trans/transfer boxes? Probably eventually. So why not 'overload'? My take is that handling, specifically the ability to complete an avoidance steering move and stopping distance will be greatly compromised.

To each there own...hell in India and elsewhere you could probably carry 35 passengers on top of your Eagle.... :D .

Good luck and let us hear your solution..mine is to take extended off road bike camping trips.

Phil

I'd have to say you're better off with a trailer, even with a light bike like that. I've used a lot of hitch racks, but have always felt better with the bikes on trailers. That's the way I went, but I've always loved towing trailer for some reason, so my opinion may be biased. This also give a better place to put additional supplies, which was important for me for camping with a family. I just like to make sure that my trailer is as capable as my truck.

Don

-

It all depends on the truck and type of motorcycle hitch carrier. I know 68 Siesta had some excitement when he hit a large pot hole in some road construction and a strap broke and the two motorcycles came off doing 65 mph. Lucky for him the other strap held and dragged the bikes behind until was on the shoulder safely. Only a set of handlebars was needed for repairs. So just know that the truck has its own suspension along with bikes that will move on its own, so high quality straps are a must. Here is what I use.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Roller-HR801-10-Black-Ratchet/dp/B004YIDICG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

a bit spendy for tie down straps, but over kill is over under rated.

With all that said, I would say go for the trailer. Lots of low cost trailers on craigs list that would be much safer in the end. However as they say, free advise is worth the price you pay for it.

gallery_5772_976_282335.jpg

I vote for a small utility trailer as well. You will be adding nominal tongue weight compared to having the bike at the back on it's own. I built a small toolbox on mine as well.
I might add a carry all container in front of the spare tire for helmets and riding gear.

One of the main things that I like about the trailer is that I can have the bikes secured and ready to go the night before I head out on a trip and save time.

I also like that I am not blocking that back door to the camper.

I used a moto jack for years when shuffling my race bikes around never a failure even over whoops with my van, as it uses foot pegs as attachment points. I've seen them mounted off the front of trucks. Not sure if legal because of headlight issues. Trailers are a pita if really trying to get out there as well as speed limitations

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I don't haul a motorcycle but I do haul an ATV and a Side by Side. I would go the utility trailer route as others have suggested. Depending on the trailer you choose you can haul the bike and carry fuel or camping gear that might not fit in the camper.

My goal is to build a trailer like this one to carry my Yamaha TW200, two bikes and supplies.
Just the TW200 alone on a hitch mount would be too cumbersome for some of the places I want to go.

Attachments

• 4b8ba6ef-ba0c-ed82.jpg
    4b8ba6ef-ba0c-ed82.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 10636902_10202318654362454_7863259367067494096_o copy.jpg
    10636902_10202318654362454_7863259367067494096_o copy.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 198
The TW200 is the bike I want to get. I was planning on trying the MX Hauler because I don't want to tow anything. Of course plans may change.... I look forward to hearing more on this subject :)

I use a basic three rail trailer for hauling our bikes.
A trailer also gives you a place to carry fuel and other gear.

With the Ultimate MX Hauler you can lower the bike, and open the camper door without unstrapping it. It also has an anti-rattle hitch pin to keep the rack tight to the truck. Easy to load too. I would also look at the VersaHauler if you get a heavier street bike.

If you do end up going with a trailer, one thing you may want to consider is an enclosed trailer if you're going to be pulling it a lot. There are weight benefits to a small 3-rail type trailer, but at 1,200 lbs, I'm happy with my aluminum enclosed. As stated, it also give a lot of room if to carry other supplies, or in my case, to have an outdoor kitchen plus two bikes.

img_144651_0_ace7feda2bee66ad0600d46afca6b6be.jpg

img_144651_2_9da891889292c96b8393dd9aa64c24bd.jpg

I'm using a Joe Hauler carrier for either my KTM 690 or KTM 350.

I don't know about the Tacoma's tongue weight, but with a 200# scoot and an 80# carrier, you likely need at least a 300# tongue weight spec.

All carriers are not the same. Joe uses a bolt/pinch method that securely attaches the male portion of the carrier into the receiver. Tighten down the bolt and NO play in the carrier. Insert your locking pin and drive away.

Sorry no pics. But here is Joe's link with plenty of pics. This is not a tight budget carrier.

I have a trailer, but, rarely use it out west as I find it limits access to some areas due to rough road and/or drop offs.

I've had good luck with my DRZ400 (300 lbs. ?) on a basic hitch mount carrier. My truck is a one ton tho, not a tacoma. The only problem I had was accessing the camper door while traveling, tight squeeze to say the least. The main reason I have a truck camper is to avoid pulling a trailer, but to each their own. ;)
PS: running a tight bolt for the hitch pin to reduce rattle and using quality tie down straps like mentioned before are a must!

In the old days that was called moto jack rack I agree it works a treat especially after a hard day's ride when you can barely load yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I've done both and will do both again. I can say that I'm consistently nervous with the tw200 on the hitch rack. As noted above, I've had a strap break and a bike come off the back. It doesn't take much to go wrong to lose a bike on a hitch carrier. A trailer gives me a lot of piece of mind and really isn't much of an inconvenience. I'd go that route if I were you.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I've used trailers, but I'm about to build my own hitch carrier - mainly because I also want to pull a small boat trailer. Might even build 2 - one on the front / one on the back. Why limit the fun?

FWIW, I have used a hitch carrier to haul my YZ450 all over...works great, and I offroad like crazy. Thats with the wife, 2 kids and 75lb dog. 2012 Hawk shell, 08 Tundra, all stock (+air bags).

Back
Top Bottom