4x4 Toyota Chinook -- 1 Of A Kind!---

A carb'd 20R in stock trim might make 90 HP. Not a lot for the size of the vehicle and the amount of air it's going to push around.

"A carb'd 20R in stock trim might make 90 HP. Not a lot for the size of the vehicle and the amount of air it's going to push around."

With regards to all the tweaks made to the mechanical components of this build, this build went deep in to the restomod side.

My guess is with the dual side draft Mikuni carbs that are mated to a hotter cam and custom tuned exhaust headers - this modified 20R probably makes 120 HP. Back in the day that would have been a very nice improvement.

It still would be slow even with 120 HP. My stock '88 4rnnr had 150HP 298K miles ago (& likely still has close to that) and it's no rocket-ship. This truck should be at least 500 lbs heavier and will push a lot more air than the 4rnnr.

It is a pretty rig and it pushes a lot of the nostalgia buttons, but that engine is badly matched to the application. I hadn't looked far enough to see the dual carbs. Not at all something that I would take into remote country. It should have gotten a 3.4 or 4.0 V6 swap along with a W or R series 5 speed.

That G series trans is a step up in strength over the L series it likely started out with, but is still woefully under-strength. I had to baby mine in a truck with a nearly stock 22R to keep it running over the long term.

Given the mass of the vehicle it also needs, at the least, the vented front rotor/V6 caliper swap with a 4rnnr V6 m/c and booster. Even with that the brakes aren't going to keep up with normal traffic. The Taco front brake conversions and rear discs should probably be looked into.

Pretty and nostalgic and not at all something I'd want to drive as-is.

I remember this one from the previous BaT ad... Find it interesting that it has already been sold 2x since then and supposedly driven only 1,000 miles in 2 years...? Is there proof that it has 45k original miles?

Yup, I've had my share of 20R's, 22R's, 22re's... easy to work on, great motors but never thought of putting one ahead of an RV. That being said, the amount of Sun Raiders and Dolphins they produced through the 80s and 90s me wonder... Never driven one, but even a single cab unloaded pickup with the 22RE wasn't the most fun vehicle to drive in any passes.

I've fond memories of stuck in third with the 22R turning 4200-4500 rpm for ever_single_pass in Nevada. If it's a paved pass in NV I've likely crossed it like that.

Don't know if he's still got it, but "Joaquin Suave" used to have one of these fiberglass body's. If he still does you could build your own version on whatever donor rig you wanted to start with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom