5 Gal/20 L gas can

robcc

Advanced Member
We just got an AT gas can holder for our ATC bobcat. Suggestions on the best gas can (assuming metal) with a good spout system.

Be sure to buy a can that fits the strap that came with your can holder. One strap fits old jerry cans with the large flat cap and one fits cans with the smaller fill cap that sits up a couple of inches That being said I prefer the old style jerry cans. I still use one that I had from my 1st camper build in 1979. ( 42 yrs ago - yikes!! )

Wavian fuel cans all the way. I've seen them pop loose from a vehicle moving at a decent clip in a rocky desert stretch and take a tumble while full, and not be leaking or dented when recovered.

If you're willing to make the required reducer/adapter for the restricted unleaded fill necks if you have one of those then I can not strongly enough recommend the Swiss nozzle for these cans. They will empty the can very nearly as fast as you can tilt them and they're long enough to insert in the filler neck with the can upright.

Wavian cans. I have multiple sizes, works well. The new spout is better than their older two piece spout.

Wavian Jerry can and AT can holder, ~ two plus feet above the bumper, out of the (hopefully) impact area.

robcc said:
We just got an AT gas can holder for our ATC bobcat. Suggestions on the best gas can (assuming metal) with a good spout system.
I wouldn't assume metal. It's heavy and will rust eventually and require paint touchups. Prefer miltary-grade extra heavy duty plastic from Sceptre. They are only available in Canada for fuel, for water, they can be purchased in the US. It is what is supplied to US military and NATO. They are virtually indestructible and require no maintenance. They have wide mouth lids and pouring spouts with vents and gaskets for both gas or diesel. Check them out online at DS Tactical, near Vancouver, BC. I've used them for 20 years on land and at sea, and have seen no degradation.

Rich

A suggestion on what NOT to use: Rotopax. While they look cool and are heavily marketed, they are a real pain to use. They swell with heat making the mounting knob near impossible to release, they are inefficient use of volume, the spouts suck and are hard to install without getting covered in gas and the locking mechanism rusts and it turns out they don't make a 3 gal water can. I had a perfect place to install 2 of their 3 gallon fuel cans under my flatbed, and have been unimpressed ever since. If I could fit something else, I would.

ri-f said:
I wouldn't assume metal. It's heavy and will rust eventually and require paint touchups. Prefer miltary-grade extra heavy duty plastic from Sceptre. They are only available in Canada for fuel, for water, they can be purchased in the US. It is what is supplied to US military and NATO. They are virtually indestructible and require no maintenance. They have wide mouth lids and pouring spouts with vents and gaskets for both gas or diesel. Check them out online at DS Tactical, near Vancouver, BC. I've used them for 20 years on land and at sea, and have seen no degradation.

Rich
Princess Auto also has them. 90 bucks CDN

penner said:
Princess Auto also has them. 90 bucks CDN
But DS Tactical usually has stock and has the better price (I haven’t check in a bit) - I found that Princess Auto’s stock is hit and miss, and more expensive.

The only problem with the Sceptre Military jerry cans is that the US restricts importing these amazing jerry cans because they don't have those ridiculous child-proof twist locks and miserable spring loaded fill caps. So if you want one of these cans you'll need to take a trip to Canada to pick it up in person and bring it back into the US yourself, or have a Canadian friend ship it to you from Canada. The stores won't ship these to the US. Interestingly they will ship to to anywhere else in the world. They will only ship to the US if you are military. The water jerry jugs aren't restricted for shipment to the US, and they are really nice, too, so no problem there. Also, these jerry cans come in various colors and two sizes: 20L (5 gal) and 10L (21/2 gal). Don't confuse the Sceptre Military with the commercial Sceptre products that they sell to marine supply stores and auto stores in the US. They are not the same thing, not even close.

Rich

rando said:
For water cans, the LCI plastic cans are hard to beat, particularly for $23, they fit standard can holders:
https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon-desert-tan.html

On any desert white water trip you will see dozens of these things getting the snot beaten out of them, and still sealing.
My understanding is that the Spectre and LCI water cans are made to the same spec, are essentially identical.

I’ve used Spectres for years, first as a single can with a powered faucet in it when camping in a pickup shell to now using four piped into my van’s water system instead of using a typical RV tank.

Can’t beat the value and durability of these cans!

That is my understanding as well, the LCI cans are just half the price of the Scepters, (and it is a good company that employs blind folks).

WanderingBison said:
My understanding is that the Spectre and LCI water cans are made to the same spec, are essentially identical.

I’ve used Spectres for years, first as a single can with a powered faucet in it when camping in a pickup shell to now using four piped into my van’s water system instead of using a typical RV tank.

Can’t beat the value and durability of these cans!

rando said:
That is my understanding as well, the LCI cans are just half the price of the Scepters, (and it is a good company that employs blind folks).
For Canadians, you can usually get the Spectres for a more reasonable price than in the US. I didn’t realize the LCIs were a better deal in the US.

I haven’t looked but if memory serves me well, I paid $36 CDN +tax shipped from DS Tactical.

WanderingBison said:
For Canadians, you can usually get the Spectres for a more reasonable price than in the US. I didn’t realize the LCIs were a better deal in the US.

I haven’t looked but if memory serves me well, I paid $36 CDN +tax shipped from DS Tactical.
All things Sceptre:

https://dstactical.com/search.php?page=1&section=product&search_query=scep

WanderingBison, do Canadians get a different price quote than US citizens when ordering from DS Tactical? Just curious. The 20L Sceptre water can goes for $32 usd these days at DST, it's a few dollars less for the 10L The 20L fuel can, on the other hand, will run $56 usd (at today's conversion rate). Of course the fuel can is a little more built out than the water can and uses specific gaskets depending on whether it's gas or diesel. Either way, Sceptre quality is first rate from my experience. I don't have any personal experience with the LCI water cans. They look very similar, but I've read a few reviews by people that have had both Sceptre and LCI, thinking at first that they were the same thing and seem to suggest that after trying the LCI found the quality control to be poor. I don't know. I can only vouch for the high quality of the Sceptres, as that is what I've used over the years.

Rich

Our group of rafting buddies has used dozens of the LCI cans over the past decade with no quality issues, and pretty much every outfitter also uses these. As far as I know, the government is also using bazzilions of these things as they are LCIs primary customer.

I didn’t think so - I couldn’t even find a place to switch the currency.

I see $39.99 for the water (which is a few dollars more than when I last purchased) and $69.99 for the gasoline cans.

Back
Top Bottom