8ft Camper on Short-bed Tacoma, Do-able?

JoshWilliams

Hi I'm new here, forgive me if this has been answered in a different post.

Has anyone tried to put a 8ft camper on a short bed Tacoma? I know its not really recommended, but is it doable or just ridiculous? I have found a lot of campers in my budget and light enough to carry, but the base is usually 4x8 which is too big for a 4D shortbed Tacoma (5ft bed, 80" with tailgate open, 43.5" wide)

My neighbor is selling a FWC Granby for 1500 and its in killer shape but won't fit in the wheel wells and may be a bit long. Wondering if i could notch the camper base to fit the wheel wells on any of these bigger campers?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

PS the Craigslist finds posts are really helpful thanks for posting!

I don't have the definite answer you're looking for, but I have the std. 6' Tacoma bed and my FWC Fleet hangs off the bed by over a foot. I don't think the wheel wells would be the problem (though I'm not familiar with the Granby), but the fact that the center of gravity of the camper would be a couple feet farther aft than design. This would put much more of the weight on the rear axle than in the approved configuration and might unbalance the truck resulting in poor or dangerous handling. Just my 2¢.

I would strongly advise against it...
The camper will overload the truck and as said above the COG will be behind the axle which is a dangerous thing..

Back
Top Bottom