A Cool Camp Shower Idea

Nice! Packable and lightweight, too. Note the website caution concerning putting water exceeding 110 deg F into the container. I can envision 2 to 4 two liter bottles laid flat upon a black plastic garbage bag would be nice and toasty in short order, especially with some sort of wind shield to keep any cool ambient breeze off of them.

Some of the best showers are those with limited water which you had to work a bit for, no?

Foy

This is cool... I think I'll order one.

I wonder if the maximum temperature warning is due to a skin-scalding hazard or due to a plastic-melting hazard? If plastic-melting, is it the plastic of the Simple Shower or the plastic of a standard pop bottle that's at risk?
I've seen Survivorman Les Stroud boil water (to purify it) in a plastic pop bottle over an open fire, so I bet the plastic isn't the problem.

For me the big challenge would/will be learning to take a water-minimal shower...
I currently rely on something like a sponge-bath, which is water-sparing but doesn't use a cascade/spray of water.

Hmmm....one gallon milk jug. I wonder if by careful heating/melting I could "weld" the neck of a pop bottle (which mates with the Simple Shower) to the top of a one gallon plastic jug -- giving about twice the showering water volume of a 2-liter bottle.

Yeah, I guess it's not hard to have more than one 2-liter bottle at the ready and transfer the shower head to get more volume...but it's an idea.

You'll have to add a longer air tube to the shower head device. I'm working on that now. Soft, yeah Ted, I'm getting soft.

ski3pin said:
You'll have to add a longer air tube to the shower head device. I'm working on that now. Soft, yeah Ted, I'm getting soft.
If you're talking about the internal tube that I believe air is introduced into the bottle... Then I'm not sure you'll need a longer air tube, if it works anything like an olive oil bottle like this...

img_106454_4_932ced9518f75a56e2e1ad831b3d63a3.jpg

Those certainly don't reach all the way to the bottom of the bottle. The cap on the end of the spout is not air tight, it's just a cover for cleanliness (at least on the ones I have).

Liquid (water or olive oil) = heavy, comes out the spout (think shower head), gas (air) = light, exits anywhere above the inside end of the spout.

Although I don't have one of the simple shower devices to examine It would be interesting if they came up with another design to let the fluid out and the air in.

imix said:
Speaking of cool showers check out this recent cheaprvliving dot com post. I love his whole setup, best vandwelling van ever.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/ingenious-van-conversion-simple-indoor-shower/

One day. I will live in a van down by the river and life will be perfect.
I also checked out the Cheap RV living web site this article was on. Very interesting, everything from staying clean, solar to budgets. Live on $500 a month! Bookmarked and will go back and read more.

Imex, I guess I would not be happy at the extreme end of things. I did retire at 60, two homes paid for & renting one for extra income. No way I could give up on the wife after 38 years, still the best thing that has happened to me. That said my 2005 Tundra and Hawk works for me to get out and about. I do not need the big motorhome even if I could afford to get one. My theory on life: find what makes you happy, how much does that cost and save for that number. Live below your means and you will be happy. When you have saved the number you need to live and be happy without working then comes the hard part. Retirement is one of the most personal decisions you make in your life next to finding a spouse. Most people make the decision when they are making more $$ than they ever have in there life. Still have not met anyone that wished they are still working.

I caved and now have this rig sitting in my living room Amazon just delivered.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ITVSSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quality is pretty decent zippers are OK not the best but its well thought out for the money. Assembly after the first effort should go pretty quick.

And yes more excess gear aquisition
But I must admit this thing is very cool and I can see lots of uses for it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BXPI1E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very high quality item great idea wish I had thought of it, Simple concept

I'm now putting a moratorium on camping gear crap!!! I swear we have full on RV now except it arrives in bags and gets assembled on site. LOL

Having said that I can see clean happy little kids being nicer than smelly dirty happy little kids when it comes to bed time. HA!

Back
Top Bottom