A new National Park buried in the stimulus bill!

smlobx

Lost again
Although it is not West of the Mississippi River I thought you may like to know about a new NP that is about to come to fruition.

The New River George, located in West Virginia is probably best known for the annual day the bridge is closed to vehicle traffic and people are allowed to bungee jump the gorge. This area has the best white water rafting East of the Mississippi with many Class III and IV rapids. The fishing is also outstanding!

You can read more about it here:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2420006/our-newest-national-park-new-river-gorge

So if you find yourself lost in the East consider checking out our newest NP!

Interesting. I have mixed feelings as we "love our NP's to death" and with that status will come changes for usage. I personally like the changes but I'm not sure everyone will. Here in Idaho we had some wilderness that was debated on for a long time about NP status. In the end it was decided to declare it as Wilderness. If it had been declared a NP, a lot more people would have come and with that you get more usage, etc. and it loses some appeal.

I lean your way Kncintyre... as with may things ...like in teaching... easier to come out strict at the start of the year and loosen up than start loose and try to pull in the reins... twice as hard.... So with a more strict policy to start and see how the crowds number then create a plan. Ever see a new city park... new grass and pathways...then the folks come in and you can see where the herd wants to walk in the worn areas... that's where the paving should be.

I really enjoy the NP system to a point, however, the Feds can’t even keep up with what they are already responsible for, they close off areas, designate accessible land to wilderness or riparian areas, restrict visitors to paved paths or gravel trails and raise fees for something we already own. Turning over the campgrounds and concessions/vending over to private enterprises is another gripe I have...

I feel I could go on with a host of complaints regarding the management of the National Park system under the Department of Interior and the National Forest system under the charge of the Department of Agriculture, but will leave it at that.

Just my opinion about the matter

If you Go to the New River, take the road through the gorge. It's well worth it.

I'm generally not a fan of going to National parks. I prefer to be less restricted in what I can do.

I live next to The Great Smokey Mountain NP, I hardly ever go to it because I can go to the Cherokee NF which has most of the same features but I can get away from the crowds of people.

In the park, there are many trailheads near Gatlinburg that have never been sized for the amount of traffic they get, BUT somehow they found money to pave the trail. I do not find it fun to hike with hundreds of other people in hearing distance.

I grew up in Sylva on the other side of the hill from you and worked summers in Cherokee for several years. Back in the 60’s it took as long as 5 hours to drive from Cherokee to Gatlinburg in the summer. Can’t imagine what it must be like now. It was the only national park within one day driving range of more than half of the US population several years ago. That may have changed but it does explain why it is crowded.

About 20 miles as the crow flies, 35 miles as the road meanders.
Paul

I avoid the Gatlinburg/Seveirville area like the Plague. You wouldn't recognize it any more.

Around 15 years ago on New Years day I sat in bumper to bumper traffic trying to leave Cades Cove for 4 hours.
It was a slushy icy snowy mess and people in TN do not have appropriate tires.

A great Dual sport ride is Tatum Gap near Andrews. Again National Forest.

welllll, i am just for protection, however the gov can get it done. if they do it kinda-right i am not going to be negative.

In the case of New River Gorge and most all of the National Park designations by Congress in recent decades, the areas were already units of the National Park System. On its own, the designation does not actually change much and in terms of the NPS budget they were already covered. This primarily a branding thing since the general public knows the "National Park" brand better than the National Monument. National River, National Seashore, Lakeshore, Riverway, Historic Site, etc. The "National Park" designation is more a sign of political consensus and not a reflection of value or importance. Of course it is more difficult to undo than a National Monument designation by Presidential executive order (i.e Bear's Ear in UT).
Having been an NPS employee for almost 40 years , I've come to think Congress should just get it over with and designate most if not all existing units of the National Park System as National Parks. The existing array of unit designations Congress created suggests more a distinction than actually exists.

Back
Top Bottom