A Rainy, But Very Fun Black Rock Rendezvous

Looks like a great event and just up the road. As a 'local' I'm embarrassed to say I haven't spent a lot of time in/around the Black Rock. I need to take some trips north for a change.

I want to pencil this in for 2016 - is it always Memorial Day weekend?

Yes, it rained in Nevada over the holiday weekend. Looks like a great turn out of the hard core black rock desert folks despite the rain. First place, congratulations! Thanks for the report!

Looks like a cool time. :)
Nice light on the playa, too, which wouldn't have been there as much if it hadn't been cloudy. That's the silver lining... ;)

Dutch oven cookery: Was it done in the full-on "oven" style -- with charcoal on top of the lid, too? Someone gave me a Dutch oven many years ago, but I've only used it as a big pot -- too lazy to do the "oven" thing. :p

I don't know why I've never heard of this -- I'm a member of Friends of NV, too...I guess I just wasn't paying attention. :giggle:

I have a dutch oven cookbook but no dutch oven. Go figure. Looks like a fun weekend. Thanks for the report.

Vic said:
Looks like a great event and just up the road. As a 'local' I'm embarrassed to say I haven't spent a lot of time in/around the Black Rock. I need to take some trips north for a change.

I want to pencil this in for 2016 - is it always Memorial Day weekend?
Yes, I believe that it's always on Memorial Day weekend.

MarkBC said:
Looks like a cool time. :)
Nice light on the playa, too, which wouldn't have been there as much if it hadn't been cloudy. That's the silver lining... ;)

Dutch oven cookery: Was it done in the full-on "oven" style -- with charcoal on top of the lid, too? Someone gave me a Dutch oven many years ago, but I've only used it as a big pot -- too lazy to do the "oven" thing. :p

I don't know why I've never heard of this -- I'm a member of Friends of NV, too...I guess I just wasn't paying attention. :giggle:
All of the Dutch oven cookers used coals above and below the oven and there some amazing entries. One woman even made a chocolate cherry upside down cake in her DO.

Glad you and all had a good time. I have known Andy of Mindful Images for many years. since he retired he has been very busy with his photography. Congrats on the Dutch oven 1st place.

Back
Top Bottom