A weekend of fossil and rock hunting

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I arranged a weekend to take Alex and his parental units on a weekend rock hunting trip in the Ochoco Mountains and John Day Fossil Beds area in Central Oregon.

My little science buddy Alex:
picture.php

Painted Hills:
picture.php

picture.php

Hunting for rocks outside the park:
picture.php

Rare sighting of a Painted Hills Purple-backed Jackalope:
picture.php

Camping at the Ochoco Divide Campground. This is a nice campground on highway 26 at Ochoco Summit - about 10 or 15 miles west of Mitchel:
picture.php

The main objective of the trip was to visit the Lucky Strike Thunderegg mine in the Ochoco mountains:
picture.php

Ryan getting serious:
picture.php

The Lucky Strike HQ:
picture.php

This is really a neat place to visit. The owner is a very nice older man (WW2 veteran!) and his wife. I want to say their names are Cop and Cindy if I remember correctly. These are some of the nicest thundereggs (and largest) you will find anywhere. You pay 1 dollar per pound on what you want to keep.

Cop cleaning our eggs:
picture.php

The weigh in:
picture.php

picture.php

Overall a great weekender close to home. We are finally getting some nice weather up here so look out for more Oregon reports in the near future!

Hey DD,

Nice report and good to see little ones interested in something besides video games. Just one thing, not all of your members have a geology background. WTH is a thunderegg?

Hey DD,

Nice report and good to see little ones interested in something besides video games...

Ditto. Good job getting that budding young rockologist out there.:thumb:

If you two cut and polish those eggs it would be fun to see pics of Alex with the end product!

Happy Trails,
'birds

...looking for a used saw.

Maybe one of our honored members has one they would like to part with for a worthy cause?...or knows someone who does??:thumb:

Meantime I'll keep an eye open!:eek:

Happy Trails!
'birds

El Capitan,
Pretty cool. Love the pic of the guy rockin la pistola!

Is it even more hardcore that its not a guy? :D

Back
Top Bottom