AAA Towing

camelracer

Contributors
Has anyone had any experience with AAA service or towing with their camper? I've always had their standard towing package assuming that the RV option was meant for the highway yacht type of vehicle.

A friend who is an AAA towing contractor recently told me that any overhead camper is considered an RV and needs the RV rider on your AAA membership. He also said the tow truck operator has some discretion and can provide service if he's in the right mood but don't count on it.

I'll probably add the RV rider when I renew next month. I think it also includes 100 miles of towing.

Many states (I believe) don't consider a FWC an RV and in Idaho you don't have to register it as such (but the law is kind of vague here).

It is more what AAA contract with the tow operator considers to be an RV than what the particular State considers it to be. We have it and it proved worthwhile when the trans expired. We were 3 miles under the free limit between Palmcaster (really, can you tell where Palmdale ends and Lancaster begins any more?) and home. So that additional $37 was a pretty inexpensive tow when it would have been far more expensive.

I have AAA RV but had trouble some years back when I was towing an offroad trailer with RTT and the AAA call center operator said it wasn't an RV because it didn't have a toilet inside. I was finally able to convince the tow truck driver to tow me anyway. My cousin is a former president of AAA Rocky Mountain and he said that was nonsense.

So you're right, there are variables involved including the driver and the call center operator.

SoCal Auto Club AAA member, I subscribed to the Premier membership (includes the 100 mile towing option) a couple of years ago and within a few months the front bearings on the right side started to rumble bad enough that I decided to stop. I was 40 miles down a mostly smooth dirt road and 58 miles on pavement to the nearest auto parts store (in California), and they towed me on a flat bed all the way with the ATC Bobcat on the truck. I'm not sure if this is RV coverage, however, there was never any question about the camper on the truck by the SoCal auto club phone person or the tow truck operator.

I am in SoCal. I cancelled my AAA membership a couple of years ago (after paying for it for 5 years) because the towing service refused to tow my 86 Toyota PU and camper...4600 pounds. The driver actually left me in the left hand turn bay at a busy intersection. Said "We don't tow RV's". I told him it weighed less than any full size SUV or PU he normally tows. Didn't matter. I had it towed and my regular insurance company reimbursed me for the bill. I called AAA to appeal and complain. The manager backed the tow truck company and I terminated the service.

cwd

I have AAA "Plus RV" and had no problems and excellent tow service when the truck's axle failed about 30 miles from Flagstaff. I wanted the extended tow radius because I live far from a good mechanic.

When my fuel pump went out they towed my truck without so much as a glance at the camper. Only issue I ever had was when I was stuck in the mud. We don't go off pavement he said. Actually he did but when he saw my vehicle said his cable was too short. Especially in my younger days when my wallet was empty having that card came in really handy. Probably only used it half a dozen times over forty years but its nice piece of mind.

The best one had to be when the AAA tow truck showed up and we'd broken the left axle in a Vega. Driver looks at us, looks at the car parked with the left side against the curb going the wrong way, and says "Got V8 in that, do you? What size?"

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Has anyone looked into the "Good Sam" club membership?
I think they offer with a 2 year basic membership some sort of towing package with different levels.
Frank
That's what we have for both the RV and us, two different policies. Basically, it will get the RV to a place where it will be repaired, and any injured party and spouse to care. I don't believe there is a tow mileage limit.

If I had a motorhome, I'd dump Good Sam for the Family Motorcoach Assn. We were involved with a rescue at Lake Powell (person had sepsis and CO poisoning) where a helicopter extract to a hospital, the wife's transportation, care of boat and motorhome were all covered. I was impressed.

FMCA is interesting, but not owning a MH are they likely to deny coverage when they find out we are pop-top campers?

ntsqd said:
FMCA is interesting, but not owning a MH are they likely to deny coverage when they find out we are pop-top campers?
That's the first thing they want to know when you talk to them. No Motorcoach, no policy.

I have a subscription to Trailer Life so I always get the offers for Good Sam insurance. I finally looked at it. It seems pretty comprehensive but man is it expensive!

Back
Top Bottom