AC Unit for Campers

jrfromafar

Advanced Member
I don't like the idea of a 90lb permanently mounted AC unit on top of a pop up camper even if it was a Mach 8 of only 8" height. That's the weight of a sack of concrete. But in some areas and uses, I'd love to have an AC unit. I came across this unit, which mounts to the side of a camper or trailer only when needed. Half the weight and when not in use it can be stowed away or maybe not even taken on some trips. A bit pricey - but maybe worth it?

http://www.coolmycamper.com

Not available in the States yet - but maybe soon? Seems like a better option than hauling around a sack of concrete on the top of a pop up camper :)

I have a Hawk with a small window unit mounted where the rear window was. I think it is about 5k BTU(previous owner did the install) it does the job just fine. When the temp climbs into the 90's and add the humidity(Texas Gulf Coast), I'm glad to have all those BTUs. Like you I didn't want any extra weight extra on the roof, plus I need the roof racks for surfboards and my canoe.

The ice cooler idea looks - well, cool ... but then, I imagine spending a bundle on ice if I'm remote. Doubt that would be practical if you're sitting in the middle of the Sahara Desert ... I think I'd limit my use of an AC unit to 120v hookup.

Still checking out Atlantis Solar - their "FYI" gives me pause :(

http://www.atlantissolar.com/aboutus.html

Beach said:
I have a Hawk with a small window unit mounted where the rear window was. I think it is about 5k BTU(previous owner did the install) it does the job just fine. When the temp climbs into the 90's and add the humidity(Texas Gulf Coast), I'm glad to have all those BTUs. Like you I didn't want any extra weight extra on the roof, plus I need the roof racks for surfboards and my canoe.
I had a window unit for my fiberglass trailer which I thought was more practical than putting a 100 lb unit on top. I'd do the same in my Alaskan if I were heading into high heat & humidity in the southern states for any length of time.

I emailed cool my camper,1 1/2 years ago. They informed me then not able to export and no plans of doing so.I had been involved in a 4wd van conversion and abandoned/ sold that notion.I found by ways of YouTube, some viable options for me (flat bed).Those were mini split ductless units and a recent find is a manufacturer called cool right (also YouTube)? I have plenty of real estate, as I'm mounting an 80 something keystone onto a flatbed. Price is very affordable. Awaiting response from tech depth in n regards to the terrain I may encounter etc....

At one time I considered one of these: http://www.americas-pet-store.com/dog-house-air-conditioner.html

My plan was to remove the compressor unit from it's case and mount under the seat in my Grandby, vent it to the outside through a hole in the side of the floor pack (like turnbuckle holes), and pipe air tubes to each end of the camper. Unfortunately I never got to that project..maybe one of these days..

Thanks for the recommendations. I have to add air.ATC is renewing lift Panels and liner in a a month.They referred any window AC as a " shaker".I live in the high desert (ca).I'm a 7 hour drive and turning it Into a mini adventure, traveling the coast back.But I Need to figure out AC post haste.Im still considering climate air as you can quickly disconnect both 6" tubes? And no discharging of AC lines, which I prefer.Well thanks for suggestions and starting this topic.Happy Trails

YW - hope you fine your AC solution. I like the idea from Old & Soft - the "Dog House" AC - but I think the company would do well to redo their marketing strategy - I know only too well feeling like my camper (formerly a trailer) is a dog house :)
http://youtu.be/W5RDAQFAh6Q

I never thought about one under the seat and ducting it out. Interesting idea. When I decide I need one I'll look into that more. I've been thinking about a ducted unit for my bedroom as it just doesn't cool down in the afternoon.

Hahhaha, just watched Jr from a far video link again......with the wife.Warning Navcom level 4!! She's already dreaming ...
Any who in regards to the "climate right", I am eyeballing the 8 btu/2200 cubic feet being my calculations are within 400 cf.It seems the " little guy" camp trailers really use them and now offer as an option from factory.A couple of testimonials at their rallies in some hot weather . I'm measuring my real estate today, and probably going to order.I love the fact that disconnect for trailer removal does not require discharge or hard line removal.Only to "twist" off 6" hose or quick disconnect.
Happy Trails

The Cool My Camper units are nothing more than what's called a mini-split A/C. They're readily available in the U.S. made by other companies. They're available from both Home Depot and Lowe's and can be installed by a DIYer.

Here's a video of one installed on a small travel trailer, and I've attached a spec sheet from one manufacturer.

--

Attachments

• Pioneer split AC.pdf
    317.8 KB · Views: 782
Makes me wonder where they live that its removing that much moisture. Interesting idea though I'm not sure how practical for a pop up.

Back
Top Bottom