Accessing the spare with the tailgate down

riz

I know there's no consensus on the "long camper on a short truck", but I've got a FW Ranger on a Tacoma, so I've got the deal with the "spare tire issue." I took a piece of galvanized steel rod (it's a piece of chain link fencing material), and bent a hook into each end. One end fits into the slot in the truck that lowers the spare, and the other hooks up to the stock Toyota jack handle, effectivly extending the crank arm so the spare can be lowered with the tailgate down. It's a little bit flimsy, but it works. The extention is flexible enough to fit behind the jack handle when it's stored behind the seat in the cab. It's simple, but now I can leave the corner jacks at home with no worries.

Attachments

• ebay 676.jpg
    ebay 676.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 182
  • ebay 677.jpg
    ebay 677.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 180
This looks like a great way to solve the problem. Has anyone tried it on a dodge? I am worried that the tailgate would still be in the way with the extension.

I always thought if the situation ever arose I would leave the 'handle' extension part off of the lowering device, and use a socket wrench to lower my spare..never have tried it though....I run BFG's :D

Back
Top Bottom