advice (finally got my dream truck)

vtarider

Hello,
Great site (long time lurker) I could use and appreciate any and all advice ,thanks in advance.
I finally found the right truck just picked up a 2005 chevy crew cab, long bed, 4x4 diesel 100k miles.
I am looking to buy a used Four wheel or open to others ,Alaskan etc.just wondering what models fit the best

Thanks for your time (located in Ventura county )

Dave

Hey Dave,
Welcome and congrats on the new to you truck. For a long bed you should be looking at a Grandby model (or an older model called a Keystone) from Fourwheel Campers. As far as Alaskans, an 8, 8.5 or a 10 foot model would work. An 8 foot will fit in your bed and the 10 foot will come almost to the end of the tailgate when the tailgate is down.

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks for the quick reply , Grandby model is that the more recent yrs and Keystone, are we talking real old models. Do both these models have the ability to extend the over the cab bed out a bit ? I've seen that some folks have done this.How is this achieved?
Thanks
Dave

The Keystone is no longer made. The Grandby is the model currently available for full size pickup beds. There are others on here that would be able to tell you exactly when the Keystone was around but I would guess it went away in the early 90's.

As far as the bed being extended, I'm assuming you are talking about the bed inside being extended to a bigger mattress area. If that is what you mean then yes, they have this ability. There is a shelf that pulls out on runners and then two cushions are placed in to fill in the mattress so it is more of a "queen size" bed.

Thanks .looks like I need to do my part and get reading of all this great info on here.

Hi Dave, congrats on the truck and stepping up to member status.

I'm pretty sure all FWC and ATC campers have the slide out for the bed inside. On FWC, though, the standard cab-over section used to be only about 18" or you get an extended cab-over as an additional expense option. Both companies make the extended cab-over as standard now.

BTW, if you were to put a Hawk on your longbed, you would have some room to store things like firewood, a generator, or whatever in the remaining section. And it could work as a porch when you are camping. Not a standard setup, but I've seen it done. I'm just sayin' since I have a Hawk for sale... ;)

I set our Phoenix 6.5' down in the middle of our 8' bed. Gives us room for storage up front and makes for a nice spot to step on outside of the camper while getting in or out. If the rig looks familiar it's because we're about as East Vta as you can get and still be in Vta.

i-J87tMm8-M.jpg

Currently over in the gear exchange section Marshfly has an almost new ATC Cougar for sale =

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8408-2011-atc-cougar-for-sale-12-ton-truck-or-better/

and there are listings for almost new FWC grandbys found on craigslist -

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7380-used-pop-up-truck-camper-alert-thread/page-18

both of these models are meant for full size long bed pickups. But, you can find dimensional variations in different examples of the same model so have your bed dimensions on hand to compare. Bed rail height can be handled with a platform under the camper. Cabover height may be a bit more problematic. Always double check measurements and fit prior to buying. Good luck.

Hi Dave,
This is off subject however I would like to share this with you. Look up your truck on the internet (year make model) then type in transfer case pump rub. It is an easy fix if you get to it soon enough.
Marty

Back
Top Bottom