Affordable Cast Iron

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I noticed what looks like a good deal at Costco, at least I hope it is, since I just ordered it. I don’t expect them to be well finished as Le Crueset, but then they’re about $500+ less expensive.

E2EE8B8B-12E9-4089-A387-F22F9DFF3F3A.jpeg

We have had good luck with "off"brand cast cookware.
At the cost/availability of cast especially Lodge you should have good usage.

We are using 2 3 qt.cast one a Lodge the other a Amazon brand for bread baking.
They both work the same.
Frank

If it's ceramic coated, I think you're alright. I would shy away from tradition raw cast iron from China, since who knows what they throw in the smelter.

I've got a pretty full collection of Griswold pans from #3 to #9. We travel with the #6 pan in our camper, because it's exactly the size of a flour tortilla. I've got an ancient Wagner #0 (great of tapas) and a Wagner 1891 in a 6 1/2" pan, but it's a bit heavy.

We've also got with some other Lodge items, like their dutch oven.
We got it through REI last year when the shutdown got us all in the sourdough craze. Now we bake our bread on cast iron griddle. I've got three loaves to bake tonight and the first one is in the oven now.

Andy, I’m giving it a try. We were going to replace our 7 qt Le Creuset with another, but it was nearly $500 alone. If we don’t like these, they can go to my fathers house, and we can deal with the Le Creuset that was cleaned to aggressively. I hear you on raw metal products, but I suspect/hope Costco is on top of quality.

We, (my wife) have been using using one of those for years now. We call it the Not Crueset and it has worked quite well.

The Dutch ovens arrived today, and while they’re not quite Le Creuset quality, they are quite nice. The only functional con that I see is the side bottom junction is more square that the LC. Not bad for $80. No complaints from the geezer chef.

Back
Top Bottom