Air Bags needed ?

57Pan

I just recently bought an ATC Bobcat camper I'm going to put on my 2005 Tacoma 4wd. It has the standard ARB EMU springs all the way around. Is it just a given that I'm going to need air bags? I haven't put the camper on the truck yet, just wondering if I should just buy and install air bags first.

I'd put the camper on and see how it rides before spending money on air bags. I can't speak for Tacoma's but when I bought my '14 Tundra I put air bags on it right away and when I put my Hawk on it I didn't feel like I needed them. I never liked the ride with the camper off ( 80%) of the time) with a minimal 20lbs psi in the bags. I recently bought a '19 Tundra and just picked up a new ATC. The rear of the truck dropped down a couple of inches and it actually looks more level now. Later on if I do need to pump up the suspension I'm going to look into changing the leaf pack to get a ride that I like with and without the camper on. I'm sure there's many Tacoma owners out there that can give you first hand advice. Good luck!

Installed camper, and it did drop the rear a couple/ few inches. I think everything looks okay, but I feel in the short drive that I took that it feels a little mushy. I’m going to go ahead and install air bags. Measuring off the wheel wells it seems as the driver side is a bit lower.

Went ahead and installed Ride Rite airbags, makes a big difference. Only problem was a small air leak on the passenger side, spent two evenings trouble shooting. It wasn’t the airlines, turns out to be a pin hole leak in the air bag itself. Ended up removing everything on the passenger side and submersing it all in a bucket of water to find the pin hole. Now waiting for a replacement airbag. In the mean time I used Stan’s tire sealant to seal the airbag, it seems to be working well. Stan’s is a tire sealant used to run bicycle tire tubeless.

Back
Top Bottom