Air Conditioner weight on roof

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
I have been researching Hallmark, Outfitter, and Four Wheel soft side pop-up campers. I've heard good things about each of the three mentioned. The 1-piece fiberglass roof on both Hallmark and Outfitter appears to be the best in the market and their lift system seems to be far supperior to Four Wheel, and can be lifted by crank or electric. After reading about the problems people have had lifting the roof of Four wheel campers I was wondering if this was older models which were causing problems or newer models. Four Wheel has 2 lift methods, one with a tool to crank open and the other piston. We want air conditioning due to the locations and time of year we will be camping. I would be interested in learing whether there are a lot of people with air conditioners on Four Wheel Campers and what the newer models ease of lifting and lowering the roof.

I have never seen a Four Wheel Popup Camper with AC on the roof. They are mounted in the back, take a look at the link below to see a picture of an air conditioner mounted on a Four Wheel Camper.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8213-new-member-just-wanted-to-say-hello/

Also unless you travel with luggage/solar panels or maybe a canoe or kayak on the roof the method for lifting the roof is by lifting it up with your hands. Gas assist shocks can be added with a choice of weight capabilities depending on the amount of weight you put on the roof. I myself love the simplicity of the roof not having a crank mechanism to raise the roof, one less thing to go wrong a few years down the road.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8213-new-member-just-wanted-to-say-hello/

I think I've seen one on the roof. Normally its done on the back wall. I've thought if I even do add ac, since I'd use it so seldom that I wouldn't do a permanent install but just set it inside and let it exhaust out the window. If thats practical I can't really say yet. I think you may have confused lift methods with another camper. Theres a reason FWC has been using lift panels for forty years (or whatever it is), it works. If its too heavy the struts solve that problem pretty well for most people.

The All Terrain Campers and Four Wheel Campers have a very light and very simple lift system without the extra weight of electric jacks or geared cranks--we simply use our arms and hands. Struts are a useful assist if extra weight is added to the roof.

Mostly I've seen air conditioners mounted in the rear window of ATCs and FWCs.

Every time I read about somebody wanting the AC option on a FWC, I get dumbfounded as to why EVERY floor plan does not offer the rear mount AC ("window") like that of the side dinette floor plan. :cautious:

Back
Top Bottom